IGNORED

JDM Headlight cover difference.

esprist

Here is a perfect example of early and later JDM headlight covers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240Z-260z-280z-Headlight-covers-New-OEM-Nissan-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f6d8ae5eQQitemZ300494138974QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The right one in the picture is for the driver's side and it is the early one with more round shape lense with different hole pattern. Left one is for the passenger side and it is the later design.

If you had the same side but different version of the light covers, the lenses are not interchangable. Reproduction ones from Japan were made based on the early ones.....I wish someone made a late model lenses for spares......

The early one has design flaw one the shape and hole location, so that they cracks in short period of time.

I think the boxes are switched left and right on this listing, by the way.

I feel sorry for the buyer spending over $1200USD for a unmatching set....

The seller is not describing that either.......

:cry:

I feel sorry for the buyer spending over $1200USD for a unmatching set....

The seller is not describing that either.......

:cry:

Yes, its sad. I was wondering if anyone else noticed that or not. I am one of those troublesome Canadians that canceled out early on, in one of this sellers auctions, a year or so ago because of what I considered to be seller trickery. He is one of the more knowledgable sellers in the business and we know that he knows exactly what he is selling. Buyer beware.

Looks like shill bid to me. But there is one that end recently that cost only $400, ebay# 260690504728 and another one cost about $800, ebay# 300490744688.

Ed

O.K. I will come clean and say I got caught up in wanting these .

The first pair I bid on 3 months ago to around $600 , won, and got screwed

by the seller who disappeared (From Mexico) AFTER I paid for them.

So when I saw the second pair , I was outbid past $765 ish and lost.

Suddenly ''another'' seller had them up again with the description changed

that read " I will not sell to Australian or Canadian bidders anymore unless

you contact me first '' yadda yadda because of some perceived trouble .

So I diligently contacted him , questioned him to bid again, with the seller

accepting . So I bid on the ''third'' set again , and was pissed to see them go past my absolutely stupid bid of around $1200 . So I smell a rat , but now have given up trying to buy these on ebay. :mad:

My open offer to anyone here : I am game to buy a repro set of covers for a reasonable amount . Just let me know either here or a PM .

Edited by Unkle

O.K. I will come clean and say I got caught up in wanting these .

The first pair I bid on 3 months ago to around $600 , won, and got screwed

by the seller who disappeared (From Mexico) AFTER I paid for them.

So when I saw the second pair , I was outbid past $765 ish and lost.

Suddenly ''another'' seller had them up again with the description changed

that read " I will not sell to Australian or Canadian bidders anymore unless

you contact me first '' yadda yadda because of some perceived trouble .

So I diligently contacted him , questioned him to bid again, with the seller

accepting . So I bid on the ''third'' set again , and was pissed to see them go past my absolutely stupid bid of $1200 . So I smell a rat , but now have given up trying to buy these on ebay. :mad:

My open offer to anyone here : I am game to buy a repro set of covers for a reasonable amount . Just let me know either here or a PM .

I believe the seller is Datsun Spirit guy in VA, but his website is out of service.......http://www.datsunspirit.com/index.html

I throught he was a trust worthy Japanese :cry:guy.........

I believe the seller is Datsun Spirit guy in VA, but his website is out of service.......http://www.datsunspirit.com/index.html

I maybe shouldn't have mentioned my "auction gone wrong" with him at all. It didn't cost me anything and I retracted my bid immediately. My bid was topped anyhow, by the end of the auction. He does have a solid feedback score even if this latest auction was tainted, by him not mentioning it was a mixed set of headlight covers. Lots of members here do give him respect and deal with him regularly without incident.

Has anyone here bought a set of these reproduction covers linked by TQs30z?

Just wondering how they fit. They wouldn't do me any good though. I need a set of replacement lenses for the later OEM type to go with my trim rings that I had rechromed already.

Just thought I would also mention that I did take a crack at reproducing the trim rings and also looked into having replacement lenses made using a vacuum forming process by a local company. The cost to have the prototype forms made was more than I was willing to invest and the rings proved to be quite difficult to form as well. It is beyond my capabilities.

I tried to work with Datsun Spirit he puts together a engine bolt kit. Well he sent me an email after sending several messages that he was sick and can't help now. After I had put an order together with him.

Has anyone here bought a set of these reproduction covers linked by TQs30z?

Just wondering how they fit. They wouldn't do me any good though. I need a set of replacement lenses for the later OEM type to go with my trim rings that I had rechromed already.

Just thought I would also mention that I did take a crack at reproducing the trim rings and also looked into having replacement lenses made using a vacuum forming process by a local company. The cost to have the prototype forms made was more than I was willing to invest and the rings proved to be quite difficult to form as well. It is beyond my capabilities.

As I mentioned before, the reproduction ones are very poorly made, and even MSA decided not to sell them. Poor chrome ring lines and chrome that it almost look like plastic rings.

Also the repro ones were made based on early ones, so you cannot use just the lenses for later ones. The shape and hole locations are different.

It cost about 25000 yen in Japan, which is about 300 USD plus shipping.

I wish someone could make one out of stainless steel.....Hasn't some member been working on it last year? What happened to that project?