IGNORED

R-T diff mount Group Buy

Zs-ondabrain

Dave, you can add me to the list, just please confirm what we are buying. I have seen different pics of brackets, etc, but want to see what it is you will manufacture and sell to us. Will the diff and tranny have to be removed to install, or is there an easy way to do this? Again, you can take the question marks away and add me to the list!

Easy enough. You'll be getting the metal ZS30 diff mount. You'll need to buy the Poly GM trans mount from www.jegs.com (P/N 3-1108 ) And also Paint the Mount yourself, to keep it from rusting as it is 3/16" mild steel. The ZS30 Mount can be mounted without removing the tranny or diff.

1) Remove the 4 bolts that hold the Diff Strap to the body of the Z

2) Remove the nut & washers that hold the OEM diff mount to the crossmember.

3) support the diff with a floor jack then remove the 4 bolts that hold the crossmember up.

4) The mustache bar and axles will easily support the diff in the hanging position after you lower the front of the diff. So lower the diff and use 2) 17mm ? wrenches and remove the 2 bolts that hold the OEM diff mount to the diff.

5) Being as how the new diff mount is in the shape of a square "U", you can slip it over the driveline or diff and slide it up into place. You may need to push the fuel lines up a little to clear the new mount. You may also have a rubber clamp on those brake and fuel lines that may need to be removed or moved forward to clear the new Mount. Slide it up and bolt it into place, making sure that the cross plate is facing the rear of the car and the poly mount hole is facing forward. **PICS**

6) When you go to instal the GM Poly Urethane Transmission Mount (P/N 3-1108 in Red or Black) You'll find that the mounting holes need to be widened enough to fit the larger bolts of the diff. And when you do this, keep thes as close to the poly as you can. The holes in the diff are closer together than the holes of the poly mount, so when you drill them larger, push your drill bit towards the poly to narrow the distance between the bolt holes.

7) Place the poly mount on top of the diff, slide the long bolts up thru the diff, place one washer on each bolt as a spacer to raise the poly mount off the diff a bit. Then slide the poly mount onto the bolts, then 1 more washer per bolt and put the nuts on loosely.

8) Place 1 of the 2 supplied poly mount bolts (with a washer and lock washer) thru the hole at the top of the ZS30 Mount, with the head of the bolt facing the top of the tunnel.

9) Raise the diff slowly, while aligning that top bolt with the center hole of the poly mounts 3 top holes. Raise it till you can thread the bolt in. Then continue to tighten the top bolt while raising the diff into place. You can also alternate and continue to tighten the 2 large bolts and nuts of the diff.

When that's all done, go back and double check that all nuts and bolts are tightened. You're done. It's almost simpler than it sounds. Toss the strap, bolt up the new mount, drill the poly mount, mount it to the diff, raise the diff and bolt it all back up.

Hope that's visual enough for most of you. It's pretty fresh in the memory so there ya go.

Dave

post-4921-14150808939525_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150808939966_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150808940499_thumb.jpg

post-4921-1415080894094_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

Keep in mind, roostmonkey only makes them when he has a call for them, then he will make more than enough to satisfy demand at the time and then some. He can't afford to keep a large stock on hand.

I can attest to the quality of his work and it works perfectly when I used a generic bump stop. I didn't have to spend the money on a gm mount or the bolts to mount it. It keeps the driveline in perfect alignment with stock drivetrain just like stock.

There are other ways to contact roostmonkey. Not everybody uses the forwarded reply in their posts. You should pm or email directly.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=1089962#post1089962

If I were to make a rt mount, I would make it 1/2" shorter to easily clear the fuel and brake lines in the tranny tunnel. Then I would have to cut the bump stop just a bit shorter.

Edited by Darrel

So my question is, Is this R/T mount Patented?

Dave

I doubt that it is and most likely it is not for a number of reasons.

First off, a patent application will run you anywhere from $5K - $10K and typically takes more than a year to receive. In addition, there is a patent "annual maintenance fee" of $500 to $1000. Financially, I don't think it would make sense for him. It would also have to be proven unique and different from exisitng designs (which it is, or may be, but again, this has to be technically proven and agreed to by the patent office). It is not an easy process. And if it is challenged, and I beleive it would be, then it gets more costly.

Second, now that the mount has been "produced and advertised", it is not patentable as it qualifies as "existing art".

I did a quick patent search (http://www.patentstorm.us) and did not find this mount defined. I did notice that some of the patents on differential mounts were filed by the big boys (Mercedes Benz, Hyundai). That's a different league and not sure many are capable of competing/challenging them.

I am doubting that the earlier mounts had any patent pending info or paperwork on them which would also be required.

Just my thoughts.

Rich