IGNORED

anyone got a spare ignition barrell/switch?

khughes

Hi Guys,

just wondering if anyone has a spare ignition barrell (And key) and switch for the 240K (sedan or coupe). we worked out the vapour lock issue on the GT over the weekend just to discover a new problem in that the car no longer runs in the on position (it has to be held slightly in the start position, trying not to bump the starter motor :))

let me know if you do

Kent

Edited by khughes

i did actually the week before last, i managed to get one of the circular nuts off, but i couldn't get the other one to budge.. i also don't have a proper set of circlip pliers which may help (but damn they are on tight!)

thanks for the offer, i will check the inner key this weekend, but if not i would be keen to get a hold of yours (and also to find out where/how much you get a replacement for)

http://www.niceproducts.com.au/catalogues/autolock/pdf/Application_09/Nissan.pdf

This is all I can find at the moment.

I had another supplier written down on my old parts list but I can't find this now, I'm fairly certain that you can use other datsun ones but not sure which ones.

Have you spoken to Stewart SWR? I saw a post on ozdat that mentioned his name in regards to getting new ignition barrel.

I'll most likely be buying one soon so I'll send the old one down to you.

Does anyone know if you even need an ignition barrel for rego? I'd rather f#@k it off and just have a button and immobiliser. Also is it legal to have your doors welded up?

thanks, i remember seeing that catalogue ages ago, but couldn't find it again :)

i am pretty sure it has to be the ignition switch part (even though i tried a spare too).. we tried starting the car just with the switch and it still stopped as soon as it went back to on.. i just can't think what else would cause the car to stop (unless there is some type of relay thing that isn't switching or something).

i will try a ring around, i need a set eventually for the 240z anyway

Kent,

I have a steering column with a manual pedal box for a auto-manual conversion. There is a ignition switch with a key on it. Do you still have my phone number, give me a call.

But, Have you tried hot wiring the car to see if it runs when effectively in the "on" position with the iginition switch bypassed?

My Sedan has dodgey ignition, but has been modded with a start button. You put the key in, turn it to on, then press the button to crank it.

Actually the coupe is dodgey also. Turn the key too far and it stops cranking. Key has to be in the exact right position for it to crank.

Now that I think about it, my 240z has the same problem. Must just be how the key switches wear out.

Edited by Mr Camouflage
found the keys, dont need to hotwire it.

Hi Guys,

thanks for the suggestions.. tried hotwiring the car and still no good.. i had to resort to pulling out the wiring diagram and tracing wires etc.. eventually i found that the ignition 10A fuse was stuffed.. it looked fine, however the inside of the ends had corroded, making the contacts dodgy :)

swapped it out and it fired up first time!

Bruce, how you doing! i still have that oil relocator kit if you still want it (stumbled across it over the weekend!)

Hi Kent,

Yes, still keen on the Oil Cooler. I still have that console for you too.

Good news actually. I bought a weekender up in the Central Coast, so I'm off down to Melbourne in October to clean out my Factory and bring my 3 coupes up here. Which means I will finally get to start on them. The funny thing is that 2 of them originally started in NSW and I transported them down to Melbourne.

Hey guys , when you need to remove those 2 ''shear bolts'' that hold the ignition assembly to the column area, try slot them first ( or after you have em out ) with a dremel or hack saw blade . It makes it easy to re install !