IGNORED

Scarab Docs

The570z

I have most of the scans done on all my original Scarab brochures and install instructions. I have a kit car, not a numbered vehicle, however its from San Jose and the owner managed to acquire several pieces not normally for sale. Its currently in rough unrestored shape and Im moving as fast as funds will allow :).

scan.jpg

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0006.jpg

scan0007.jpg

scan0008.jpg

Interestingly enough in this documentation you can see how scattered scarab really was, there are two distinct versions of the valve covers between these two ads. I have yet another version that appears to be either a knockoff or an early prototype of the later valve covers(6 fin). Mine are the original edelbrock casting with the scarab badges attached over the edelbrock ones making it flush with the fins instead of recessed. The scarab emblems were aluminum and very well made, scarabs were so damned rare and unheard of I kinda doubt anybody went through the trouble of making fake valve covers, but who knows? Rest of the pics in more posts.

Hi: Glad to see that going to restore the car ... You're correct that it is kit car but appears to be one where the original owner bought both the Scarab kit (engine & trans install, suspension and parts kit) as well as the optional body kit ... I keep the registry for "factory "VIN" numbered Scarabs and have access to a lot of Scarab information and parts that were NOT listed in the Installation Manual or Scarab literature -- for example -- the clutch slave cylinder is from a 1974 Datsun B210 4-speed -- (that's for free !) But hoses, belts and others stuff... So consider me a resource as you begin the resto..

Good luck -- Craig Sparkes Scarab # 155

• 2 weeks later...

Im kinda going resto-mod on it, its not original anyway right? And thanks for the offer, Ill be contacting you when I start banging my head against the wall. Im not sure what all he bought and what all he begged, borrowed, or picked up after they shut down. Almost everything I have on the car are the unpopular options, and alot of it seems not quite right. But Scarab was never popular enough to have a fake parts following I don't think. The engine mount adapters dont match the description ive heard of the original ones. They dont match the reproduction ones for sure anyway. The ones in mine are not marked and do not have any slotted holes. The rear tranny mount is custom as well, probably because I have a BW T-50 tranny(supposedly reworked by doug nash). I found a set of the hooker reproduction scarab headers and stuck those on it. However I was surprised to find the scarab bellhousing stuck the stupid slave and release fork exactly in the path of the drivers side collector... Thus a ridiculous amount of time and money later and I have a one off hydraulic bearing setup now. Damn pedal is kinda stiff though, I folded two Tilton full race clutch master cyl pushrods in half.:stupid: I finally made one out of a 10mm 10.9 head bolt, that should hold up for a while I hope LOL

When you mix and match parts from an older Scarab kit with custom parts as well as the Hooker headers (which did require the Hooker engine mounts) trouble is bound to happen...

Since Scarab Engineering sold (literally) thousands of Kits from 1974 through 1981... The only parts that were unique to the "factory" VIN cars were the valve covers, Scarab lettering and Scarab emblems. Everything else could be found in the Scarab kit or as options to the Scarab kit. So fake parts are rare .. I've seen someone try and use the Wellcraft Scarab boat decals as Scarab Z lettering -- wrong -- I've seen a single set of "bugs" that were fake --and a few valve covers that were suspect. Scarab had Edelbrock cast 200 sets of valve covers for "factory" cars only.. They look like those in the first photo.. In the early days (1976) Scarab mocked up about a half dozen sets of valve covers for use in the magazine photos. These were later swapped for ther Edelbrock covers. Those early covers were sold off at the bankruptcy sale and show up from time to time.. see second photo.

Hope that helps... I've seen folks who want the T5 transmission use the JTR mounts -- apparentely Scarab mounts place the T5 in a bad spot.

Craig

post-17662-14150807009315_thumb.jpg

post-17662-14150807009529_thumb.jpg