IGNORED

What Kind of Car Shows do you really enjoy?

hls30.com

What kind of carshows do you enjoy attending?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of carshows do you enjoy attending?

• As a participant I enjoy shows with any kind of cars, tons of classes and prizes
    • As a participant I enjoy shows with any kind of cars, tons of classes and prizes
    • As a participant I enjoy shows with Zs, and a ZCCA judged show, and peoples choice awards.
    • As a participant I enjoy shows with only Peoples Choice Awards in many different classes
    • As a participant I enjoy shows on weekends
    • As a spectator I enjoy shows with any kind of cars, tons of classes and prizes
    • As a spectator I enjoy shows with with only Zs, and a ZCCA judged show, and peoples choice awards.
    • As a spectator I enjoy shows with with only Peoples Choice Awards in many different classes
    • As a spectator I enjoy shows with any kind of cars, tons of classes and prizes
    • As a spectator I enjoy shows on weekends.

What Kind of Carshows do you really enjoy In waht capacity

Note any cool events you experienced...

Put anything that adds to the car show experience!

Bikini contest, vendor displays, etc...

Will

Edited by hls30.com

To me, the most important feature at a car show is to meet and visit with friends. Much more important even than looking at the cars, even for an old car-guy like me. Sure I'll look at the cars, but only the ones that interest me at the time, and not all that intently even so. Couldn't care less about classes and prizes, for me or others.

But then again, I'm not all that into car shows. I don't keep my cars nice for others to look at (although I'm pleased when they do), I keep them up to please me. And I'm most pleased with them when I'm driving them.

I love car shows. There are at least 3 different shows within 20 minutes of me, every week. I'm usually the only Z there, and as "rough" as mine is, I still enjoy showing her off, talking with all of the people there, and hearing and telling stories about Z's and other cars- I did own a *whole* bunch of classic cars over the years. I usually bring a chair, a bottle of cold water, put up my two "windshield plaques" and shoot the breeze with whoever comes over, and then alternately walk around and check out the other goodies.

My first real dedicated Z Car Show was the NJ Show last weekend, and it was so great to be among "friends"- people who know the difference between a 240 and a 260, and don't think they were all made with "Corvette" engines!

I'll look for any reason to spend a few hours along with 100 or so other car people, walking around and checking out the many, many different cars- some which I have never seen, or seen rarely at best. Awards or door prizes are bonuses- not a reason to attend.

I'd have to echo Arne's sentiments. My cars are for me. The prizesand classes don't mean much to me but the goodies can be cool. I like to 'tallk car' with the other participants/spectators and if I happen to win something, as I have on ocassion, I'll take it but that's not the reason I go. I don't go to near as many as I once did. Based on that, I really couldn't pick any of the choices above.

Whether I am a participant or just a spectator at car shows I find them very enjoyable. As a spectator I mostly enjoy seeing how an owner personalizes their car or truck. Many times I will see one that brings back good memories for me.

That is also one of the key rewards I get when I show mine. Hearing the stories about someone else's fond memories of owning, driving or riding in a Z sometime in their lifetime. Regarding my favorite type of show, it would most likely be a Concours event. Maybe because I enjoy the challenge of being invited to them but hearing comments like " I can't believe that car won, afterall it is Japanese!" I have participated in nearly 80 shows of all types (only 16 were Z Shows) and have over 60 awards so believe it or not it is not about the actual trophy it is about the positive reactions the Z brings to the crowd.

Congrats to Carl for breaking the barrier at the Amelia Island Concours. It is good to see the Z continue to gain the respect it deserves.

Edited by Zulaytr

The best shows are the simplest show a bunch of car guys getting together and talk about cars. It is not about who has the best car, but what have done and what you have plan the history of the car. No awards needed, well a free lunch is nice. the KISS rule applies. The best shows I've been in is the ones that a group of guys just meet in a parking lot no rope prizes or cover just a good time, and if someone brings a grill that's a plus.

The best car show for me is the one I'm currently or will be attending. So that puts Cleveland at the top of the list since that is where I'll be next. After that, who knows. On another note, I guess I'm different then most since I like to look at cars with the owners away so that I can really look at it with no distractions. For me, car shows are about the cars and thats what I want to see. I can talk anytime but car shows are few and far between where I come from.

I have never been to a car show I didn't enjoy. Granted some have been more fun than others. The least enjoyable one I have gone to was in Charleston a year or so ago. It simply was not laid out well-hard to get to spectator parking, and all vehicle traffic had to drive right through the middle of the show.

That said, it was still a good time.

As a spectator, The very first thing I do is run through and get tons of pictures.

A a spectator, the kind of show I like is determined more by the owners of the cars displayed than the people putting on the show.

When a show has owners that stay with their car(s) to talk to the people who have come out to take a look that makes a show to me as a spectator. At smaller shows this is the normal approach, at most larger shows this is a rarity. At Amelia Island, I ran into only six owners(not talking sellers) who were at or in their cars, beaming at the chance to talk about the car! Many of the cars there had enthusiasts hovering, waiting to see who would show up, some had salesmen hawking to anyone that cot within 100 yards, and a few had models paid to look pretty and share what little they knew about the cars

There was one older woman owner-absolutely radiant about having her car at Amelia Island, she was dressed in period attire, and though she probably didn't perform the restoration of her car, it was obvious she was there every day asking questions, making sure her car was finished to meet her love for it. I talked to her at length, and when I went to take pictures of her car, she started to get up and move. When she did, I told her the only thing more beautiful than a glorious picture of her car would be a glorious picture of her car with her in it. That was one of the best moments I have had at a car show., and this is the picture.

post-4106-14150804401802_thumb.jpg

Edited by hls30.com

When Entered in a show, I enjoy two things more than anything else.

First the opportunity to go around and see all of the cars and meet the other entrants before the show actually starts. I like to have my car ready, and to go, look, look, and see before the show opens to be able to talk to the owners and see the cars before the spectators get there-it is usually the only chance an entrant gets to see everything and everyone, and if done early, the best photos will be right before the show. One note there, the owners should be identified with a picture of their entrant on their name tag/badge that way as you wander you can actually find the roaming owner of the cars you are really interested in finding out about.

Second hanging out by my car and sharing info, stories, parts sources.

It is nice to be singled out for the job you did by an experienced judge-or group thereof, but I would rather have a conversation about the car than a prize, everyone who stops to talk about your car is giving you something better than a $30 mantle cover-though there is nothing wrong whit being awarded one. I won't dispute points-unless I have proof, but I would rather get their reaction to what I did with my car-though ultimately I built it to my standards.

Will

As a judge I enjoy a car show when there is ample time to do the judging.

I like to look at the cars twice, once as a whole, to see the range of the field, and once individually, to find the devil in the details.

I write down what I took points for and why. I feel that as a judge I am supposed to share the info that cost an entrant points so the car can be better for next year.

Talking to the entrants at the show is a double edged sword, some know how to question and learn/educate. Others will offer no proof of their points and expect to bully a point back by determination. Talking to an owner about a point reduction can be a terrific or a terrible experience, but more often memorable than not leads to a "No good deed goes unpunished" experience.

Will