IGNORED

Scarab on eBay?

Mike B

This may or may not be a Scarab, however the engine is in the JTR setback position and that is a JTR (Jags That Run) hood latch. This may be a JTR makeover, but it is still a nice V8 Z from the pictures.

Edited by Dudeboy

I don't know about the authenticity of the Scarab for sale on ebay. I am the second owner of an original 1979 factory Scarab. Number 153 to be exact. The manufacturing plate on the Scarab for sale on ebay does look authentic. However, unless Scarab Automobiles produced two #153 Scarabs, then someone either pulled or is trying to pull a fast one. There are a few pictures of my Scarab posted on cardomain.com. They can be found listed as a 1975 Datsun 280Z (the original donor car) under my user name scarab153. I have all of the original paperwork from the first owner, including the purchase agreement signed by Brian Morrow and dated 12-18-78. I am waiting to hear a response from the seller on ebay. I'll post again after I hear from him.

Thanks,

Larry

Thats very interesting, please keep us posted on/if the seller contacts you.

I am sure the potential buyer would like to know this as well. Not long ago, it was possible on Ebay to contact a bidder, unfortunately, that option has been taken away. On more than a couple occasions, I was able to warn a high bidder about a "less than honest" seller.

Sounds dodgey. But I can think of a couple of theories to cover it (other than scarab making 2 #153).

Theory 1. Ebay car is a fake and somehow got a scarab id plate, as red car owner claims to have original scarab paper work.

Theory 2.

Ebay car, is a scarab, He sells the engine after he decides it's not powerful enough.

It gets put in the red car, which gets a scarab kit makeover. And since it has the original #153 engine (They had numbered intake manifolds apparently), the PO is able to get a replacement tag from scarab?? and maybe copies of paperwork?

I'm wondering what details are on the paperwork. If it lists the Nissan chassis number as being the same as the red car, then thats the original one. If it list the blue cars number then thats the original one. If it doesn't list the chassis number, then nothing can really be proved by it.

Oh the shenanigans that PO's will get up to.

I'll bet on the red one.

MEZZ. You could report the car to ebay as it's may be being misrepresented as an original scarab, when possibly it isn't, and send them a link to the other #153 on cardomain. Though whether they would actually take any action is anybodies guess.

MEZZ. You could report the car to ebay as it's may be being misrepresented as an original scarab, when possibly it isn't, and send them a link to the other #153 on cardomain. Though whether they would actually take any action is anybodies guess.

LOL, dont even get me started on Ebay and their fraud protection services they offer for buying a car. I wouldnt have this one sitting in my garage right now if they did what they claim.

Well according to the owner of Scarab #154 is was a production error. Scarab screwed up and made 2 cars with the number #153.

The one on e-bay is not a fake!!!

There are 2 cars numbered #153.

It was a mistake on Scarab's part

Blue Scarab 153 build date 2/28/79

Red Scarab 153 build date 6/1x/79

White Scarab 154 build date 6/21/79 (mine)

I'm guessing the time lapse between the blue and red car (4 months) was sufficient time to lose paperwork/not check the proceeding cars Scarab number.

Again the car is real.

Intriguing... all 8 employees would have had to take their shoes off to count to 153 and beyond.ROFL

Seriously though, I can see how that could happen and slip through the cracks. Just makes the the cars in question more interesting and adds to the history of the Scarab. That should up the price a bit?

I like the Scarab. It's a very neat and rare modification. For some reason, however, the modifications to the Ebay car just don't look right to me. Things like the MSA air dam, blacked out window moldings, mirror emblems, BBS wheels, guages, mesh headrests, banged up rocker panels, and an ID plate that doesn't seem to fit... I just think something's fishy....

The original airdams were made of fiberglass and you know what happens to fiberglass when you curb it, it breaks. The typical replacement was a MSA urathane (sp) part.

My car came with blacked out window moldings, I don't know what mirror emblems your refering to however those are the correct mirrors for a Scarab (my car does not have these) BBS wheels where original equipment from Scarab, guages(?) it does have the original SCARAB logo on the turbo guage so it's a Scarab part, mesh head rests are attached to RECARO seats, that's the way they came back in the day. Dents in the rocker panels, I'm guessing he ment "frame rails" which typically get dented from jacking up the car.

I know you've done your home work on these cars before!!!

My Scarab #154

100_5015-1.jpg

100_5003.jpg

If you look closely you can see the mesh headrests

100_5001.jpg

IM002655.jpg

(They had numbered intake manifolds apparently),

Never heard of that one...

Another "plausable" explanation is that there was a mistake at the engravers shop who made the ID badges. Nobody has brought that up as of yet.

Edited by nwa240z

OK after reading the ad for the 10th time (ebay) he put a 5 speed in the car, thus he used different engine mounts (setback) and what looks to be a JTR tranny X member and hood latch (GOOD EYE there!).

So basically he took the Scarab and put in a JTR setback conversion.

Is it a still a real Scarab? Yes.

Is it the proper set up/period correct? No

What's it worth? Whatever somebody is willing to pay.

If one owner has all the original documentation showing #153's purchase and the car is still "correct". That is Scarab #153.

If another owner has a car with the correct badges, same Scarab number - wrong engine mounting position, wrong front spoiler, and NO ORIGINAL FACTORY DOCUMENTATION showning that the car was produced on that date and later sold by Scarab - then all he has is a HybridZ with a STORY TO TELL.... At best he has a SCARAB Replica...

Is is a mistake to assume that the Scarab facility made any mistakes on their numbering - when they bothered to number their cars to begin with..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

OK after reading the ad for the 10th time (ebay) he put a 5 speed in the car, thus he used different engine mounts (setback) and what looks to be a JTR tranny X member and hood latch (GOOD EYE there!).

So basically he took the Scarab and put in a JTR setback conversion.

Is it a still a real Scarab? Yes.

The question is, "was it ever a Scarab?".

The blue Z on E-bay is presented as being a two owner car - were you the first or second owner? I'm wondering why you believe it is a Scarab - when so many things say it is not.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I also noticed the telltale signs of a JTR Conversion, as the distributor is underneath the hood latch, not in front a bit. And the hood latch is custom. Even if it is real, wouldn't you call this a heavily Molested Scarab?

But the winning bidder will probably do his homework later, especially if he plans to return it to a more original condition. Then he will realize that he paid too much for that car. I would take many of the cars on HybridZ before wasting my $$ on the alleged #153. I'll take an original 240z over all of them anyway, which is why I have one.

I appreciate all the work you all have done on this forum. I am on here regularly, but have much more to take away from it that I have to add.