IGNORED

How much do you know about Datsun coming to America and the story of the 240Z

hls30.com

How much do you know about Datsun coming to America and the story of the 240Z?  

275 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you know about Datsun coming to America and the story of the 240Z?

• 1) I know who Mr. K is-and how he started at Nissan!
    • 2) I know who really gave BRE its start with Datsun
    • 3) I know who Mr. Yoshihiko Matsuo is and why carbureators are important to him!
    • 4) I know who Bob Sharp, Peter Brock, and John Morton are!
    • 5) I know the storys of "Son of Dat" and "dat Soon?"!
    • 6) I know the differences between the models of S30s and S31s!
    • 7) I know The DOT changed things for Datsun-and my car.
    • 8) I know what brand new Datsun what is in Beaulieu, UK and why it is important!
    • 9) I know that the 240z wasn't as first advertised!
    • 10) I know what American car Nissan bought the rights to produce!
    • 11)I know who Ben Milspaugh is!
    • 12) I know how Mr. K started at Nissan!
    • 13) I know why Masujuro Hashimoto is important!
    • 14) I know Fred and Betty go together, not Fred and Wilma!
    • I know that my donation to the Datsun Heritage Museum will make this and more available to everyone!

PS, I would never have guessed you to be a Fred Flintstone man(though you have said your 432 replica needs(ed) floors!-the USA, a Clique-whoda thunk it!

Will

Will,

We had 'The Flintstones' over here on UK terrestrial TV in period of course, so I know about Fred, Barney, Wilma and Betty ( although I preferred Deputy Dawg and Top Cat ), but I don't get their relevance to the subject in hand.

If I really should know, then consider me red faced already :o

Alan,

My best response is it's a USA thing, you wouldn't understand....

But, unfortunately, you would. It was simply an attempt at silliness brought on by the fact that two of the people involved, and "frequently paired" in the organization of Mueseum in question are named Fred and Betty... I am sure I am not the first to see or promote that silliness.

"Fred Jordan, the sales manager at the first Datsun dealership in the US."

and his wife Betty Jordan.

Will

In reference to Datsun vs. Nissan, the History channel showed a program about the z car and they explained it is Nissan (the parent company) was unsure how well their cars would do over here in the states. They used Datsun as a way of distancing themselves from the cars if they sold poorly. This implies that Datsun was less than a good thing. However, according to my books, Nissan motors was originally called DAT automobile manufacturing company in the early 1900's. DAT were the initials of the 3 financial backers of the company. In japanese DAT also means "hare". The cars were originally called Dat-son as the "offspring" of the previous model. This eventually was changed to DatSUN (either in reference to the sun on the japanese flag or possibly because SON means loss or bad things). Coincidentally, the factory had been recently flooded in a storm. In 1934 the company was finally changed to NISSAN Motor Company. I cannot claim that I knew all of this off the top of my head. I picked up a handy book and read the first few pages. :) Personally, I don't think calling it the Datsun Heritage Museum is a bad thing.

Carl

I think its good to have the Datsum Heritage Museum getting off the ground. At least its not the Japanese Auto Heritage Museum. Then we would have all that super fast Honda Civic and Toyota history LOL sitting next to the history Z's 510's Roadster's

In reference to Datsun vs. Nissan, the History channel showed a program about the z car and they explained it is Nissan (the parent company) was unsure how well their cars would do over here in the states.

With respect, it had nothing to do with the United States or North America specifically.

Nissan decided on this policy for WORLDWIDE export sales, and even some sectors of its domestic market. It was not exclusively a 'USA thing'.............

Alan, you've just answered your own question. Here in Canada, as well as the U.S. the cars were sold by 'DATSUN' and were and always will be DATSUNs regardless of the parent company's official name back home or the reason why they chose to market their products here under a different name.

With respect, it had nothing to do with the United States or North America specifically.

Nissan decided on this policy for WORLDWIDE export sales, and even some sectors of its domestic market. It was not exclusively a 'USA thing'.............

As proven by the fact the Datsun Name was in use well before Nissans first plan for automotive export to the USA.

Will

Has anyone seen the Hemmings Sport and Exotic mag. out this month? It is the August 08 issue with a full page on the DATSON, DATSUN, NISSAN story. It also has the logos used in the past for the DAT company.

Alan, you've just answered your own question. Here in Canada, as well as the U.S. the cars were sold by 'DATSUN' and were and always will be DATSUNs regardless of the parent company's official name back home or the reason why they chose to market their products here under a different name.

Sorry, but how have I "answered my own question"?

The cars we are concerned with here on this forum are clearly marked as being products of Nissan. You just have to open the bonnet ( hood ) or the passenger door ( on those North American market models..... ) to see the evidence of it. They were quite clearly not sold as the 'product of Datsun'........

I don't fully understand the comments that they were "....sold by DATSUN..." or that they will "....always be Datsuns...". It is quite clear for anybody to see that they were sold by Nissan, and that they will always be Nissans.

How about you call them all 'Fairladies', or products of 'Jitsuyo Jidosha Seizo KK', or 'Kaishin-sha'? It really would not be any more inaccurate than saying that they "....will always be Datsuns...."......

Trying to expunge the 'Nissan' name from the period in question seems to me to be some kind of retrospective knee-jerk reaction, based on a simplistic 'Nissan bad, Datsun good' kind of mindset. The ripples caused by slapping that 'Datsun' emblem on the export cars still have not reached the edge of the pond, have they?

Alan T.

Alan,

You points are not quite couldy clear at this particular juncture, "Nissan bad, Datsun Good"

Obviuosly we have to get Dana Carey to Play George Bush at the opening of the Museum!

As Alan pointed out Datsuns were products of Nissan Motor Corporation, and yes they were marketed as Datsuns here-both are facts and both are true-the only issue is whether the MUseum will educate that all Datsuns sold here were also Nissans. In the scheeme of the cars in the USA-it isn't that big of a deal. In terms of a Museum of the heritage of Datsun in the USA, it could be ignored because of the Preclusion of Nissan in the named focus, or penned just as Nissan Did it

DATSUNBy Nissan

Personally I think Nissan put itself behind Datsun, but bringing just this strategy, story, decision into the open from as many of those directly involved who are still around would be a potentially serious display for the museum. I believe the Datsun Heritage Museum engine has a Nissan valve cover, Elephant oil cap, Elephant Oil and the seals seep just a little!

Will