IGNORED

Installing the GEN II Mini A/C into my 240

Derek

Well as anyone knows that lives in a hot climate the 240 air blows. Well actually it sucks and that's the problem. The blower motor sucking through the evaporator is not a very good arrangement. After doing a bit of research I opted to go with the Vintage Air unit. The tipping point for me was the fact that they use servo motors to control the flaps and this will work out better for me in the future.

After you get rid of all of the old heater and ac unit there is a ton of room back there.

The first picture is of my old unit which this being a Z car forum you all have seen before.

DSC_0002.jpg

This is the GEN II Mini with the brackets I fabbed up for mounting. With this bracket arrangement I was able to utilize the old heater mounting holes. Notice the masking tape on the squirrel cage inlet. This will help avoid removing the unit to get the last screw out of the fan when you drop it.

How do I know this!!! The three vents in the front are for the A/C outlets and the two in the rear are for the defrost. The passenger side duct plugged right on with no mods. The divers side needed to be taken apart at the first joint and a small piece of the supplied hose spliced in. The supplied defroster hose was the same size as the factory hose so that was a piece of cake.

DSC_0006.jpg

Here's a shot of the back side with the brackets. I used 3/16” x 1” aluminum flat bar for the rigidity.

DSC_0008.jpg

When I slid the unit in for a test fit I noticed this hole in the dash bracket lined up nicely with the front mounting hole on the unit. I designed the rest of the mounts around this point.

DSC_0012.jpg

This is all that sticks out from under the dash. Much better than the old unit.

DSC_0009.jpg

I'm using their rotary switch plate assembly. This center plate is just my test mule until I can get every thing sorted out.

dash.jpg

Now isn't this better?

DSC_0010.jpg

Here's some info about the rest of the setup. I ordered The soft aluminum A/C lines from Vintage Air as well. This made for a much cleaner install. I then used custom made hoses to connect everything. I'm using a SD 508 series compressor with 134 freon. Fortunately It hasn't been too hot in my part of Florida yet but I can already tell it's doing a much better job that the old unit. The only thing I'll say bad about the unit is it's a little noisy when it's on high. But it does move a ton of air.

I'll update this in August when it will really be getting a workout.

Derek

Yes, do post lots of pictures. I've never installed that system in a Z but I did install it in 58 Chevy station wagon with R134a. It cools that big 'greenhouse' type car just fine so cooling a Z shouldn't be a problem.

Looks like a great install. I'll be doing the same to my 73 shortly, and to a buddies 77.

I'de like to see pics of the piping and underhood routing, as I'm debating using stainless braid or the soft alum like you. Can give specifics on the custom hoses you used?

Why did you go with the mini? I would prefer the smaller unit as well, but are you satisfied with the cooling capacity?

Any advice is appreciated. Do post lots of pics.

Jim

That system is a combination Heater Core and A/C Evaporator unit - yes?

Carl B.

Yes it is. I haven't hooked up the heater yet as I'm still messing around with the cooling system. The nice thing about this system (and others I'm sure) is the servo heater valve is controlled with a potentiometer for a switch so you can blend in a little hot air rather than cycle the compressor on and off to warm up the temp.

I'll add some pics of the lines later on.

Derek

Looks like a great install. I'll be doing the same to my 73 shortly, and to a buddies 77.

I'de like to see pics of the piping and underhood routing, as I'm debating using stainless braid or the soft alum like you. Can give specifics on the custom hoses you used?

Why did you go with the mini? I would prefer the smaller unit as well, but are you satisfied with the cooling capacity?

Any advice is appreciated. Do post lots of pics.

Jim

The soft aluminum worked great. I used tubing benders to make the bends but the aluminum is soft so if your careful you can probably shape them by hand.

Find a local ac shop that makes up rubber lines. You buy the hoses and fittings from them with out having them crimped. Then you can assemble the hoses on the car getting the fittings all oriented the proper direction and the hoses cut to the right length. Then you can take the hoses back to the A/C shop and have them crimped. This worked out really well for me.

I went with the mini because I was concerned with space. According to Vintage Air's documentation because of it's design it cools as well as the next one up. But that may be hype. I guess time will tell on that one.

Derek

The soft aluminum worked great. I used tubing benders to make the bends but the aluminum is soft so if your careful you can probably shape them by hand.

Find a local ac shop that makes up rubber lines. You buy the hoses and fittings from them with out having them crimped. Then you can assemble the hoses on the car getting the fittings all oriented the proper direction and the hoses cut to the right length. Then you can take the hoses back to the A/C shop and have them crimped. This worked out really well for me.

I went with the mini because I was concerned with space. According to Vintage Air's documentation because of it's design it cools as well as the next one up. But that may be hype. I guess time will tell on that one.

Derek

I wouldn't advise bending aluminum tubing by hand. It kinks and weakens a little easier than copper. I have the tools for that as well as a ferule crimping tool to make hoses and lines. I've looked into that system and have even installed a couple of them and it's not hype. Like I said, I put one in my bro-in-laws 58 Chevy wagon w/o any kind of rear vents and after a few minutes, that entire car is more than comfortable. Once the initial heat is dissapated, we actually have to turn the fan speed down. I think you'll love it in your Z. The evaporators, seals, o rings, etc. that they use are designed for 134a so they can handle the pressure. Any refrigerant will work in them but since 134a the least costly, that's the way to go.

I'm about to by my A/C unit this month. I liked Vintage Air's servo damper controls, but decided to go with Hot Rod Air.

I decided on Hot Rod Air because they offer a three slider control which may be adaptable to the OEM heater control bezel. We'll see how it works out in a couple months... Will keep you posted.

• 1 month later...

Hi I am planning to put A/C into my 73 240Z with a L28 block.

Your installation is very helpful and uinteresting, however I have a few points which I cannot catch;

1. Is the GenII an evaporator with the fan unit built inside?

2. The picture shows the genII occuping the space of the heater unit? Seems

3. Do you retain or get rid of the original fan assembly?

4. You mean the A/C three outlets connect to the original ventilator ducts left and right of the car and one to the middle of the two vents in the control panel?

5. The other two to the demister ducts? So a full custom built in unit.

6. Where does the masking tape area connect to?

7 When you say you use a sanden 508 do you have to fabricate a special mount?

Thank you!

Hi I am planning to put A/C into my 73 240Z with a L28 block.

Your installation is very helpful and uinteresting, however I have a few points which I cannot catch;

1. Is the GenII an evaporator with the fan unit built inside?

2. The picture shows the genII occuping the space of the heater unit? Seems

3. Do you retain or get rid of the original fan assembly?

4. You mean the A/C three outlets connect to the original ventilator ducts left and right of the car and one to the middle of the two vents in the control panel?

5. The other two to the demister ducts? So a full custom built in unit.

6. Where does the masking tape area connect to?

7 When you say you use a sanden 508 do you have to fabricate a special mount?

Thank you!

#1 Yes it's a complete unit.

#2 & #3 Yes it replaces the entire nissan heater and fan assembly.

#4 & #5 Yes again!

#6 The masking tape is covering the inlet for the fan motor. I had dropped a nut inside the unit earlier so I covered it up with tape for the install.

I had bought the mount years ago from a Nissan dealership I worked at. It bolts on the left hand side of the motor on the 4 bosses near the bottom front of the block. I'm sure it was an aftermarket but I can't remember the brand.

Derek

I had bought the mount years ago from a Nissan dealership I worked at. It bolts on the left hand side of the motor on the 4 bosses near the bottom front of the block. I'm sure it was an aftermarket but I can't remember the brand.

Derek

Can you show a Picture of the mount?

I used the OEM mount, with the OEM Hitachi compressor. The Hitachi is too expensive. Sanden used to supply a conversion kit for the L24/L28, that used an adapter bracket to mount their compressor to the OEM mount..

FWIW,

Carl B.

• Mike featured this topic