IGNORED

Wiring Fog Lights on the Early Z

At the front of the radiator you'll find two pairs of wires both Red and Black. Typically they're taped to the harness with Blue electric tape. Those are the connections for the Fog Lamps in parallel (that means they are both powered off the same circuit, but not dependent on one another to work).

Inside the vehicle, typically behind the Fuse Box or Hazard Switch, (depending on whether the bundle has been moved or not) you'll find two sets of 2-wire connectors. In my car they were connected to each other even though neither circuit was operational.

The first circuit is for the Fuel Pump (Electric) and it's pair of wires are Green and Black/White. You can see the in-line fuse holder in the attached pic.

If you look closer in the pic, above and to the right of the connector with masking tape (labeled "console") you'll see another 2-wire connector with Red and Green/White wires going to it that has been taped with the Blue electrical tape mentioned. (See second pic.)

That is the connector for the SWITCH and (in-line fuse holder if you run large wattage lamps).

The wiring schematic calls out for a Red and a Red/Green, but the Red/Green connects to the Green/White wire that feeds the Side Marker Lamps and Instrument Lamps, so they may have changed the color in production.

The Fog Lamps, being on the same circuit as the Side Marker Lamps operate ONLY when the Light Switch (on the Comb Switch) is at least on Parking Lamp mode. If you wanted them on in lieu of the car's parking lamps you would need to wire them separately.

Take note however, that all you need to do is close the connection between the Red and the Green/White (or Red/Green) to have power at the bullet connectors at the front of the car.

FWIW

E

post-1490-14150798609222_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14150798609449_thumb.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article

Randy:

That's as much as the HIGH beam on the headlights...EACH.

IIRC, the MSA kit will come with a relay and switches. Don't know about the wiring though.

So take a note from the boys in the military and wire it to "FAIL-SAFE".

Use the car's existing wiring to power a relay, and let the relay power the Fog Lamps. Then all you need inside the car is a switch connected to the car's Fog Lamp Circuit connector.

Here are a couple of other threads with the Fog Lamp circuitry and OEM switch pics etc.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4522&highlight=fog+lamp

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7381&highlight=fog+lamp

E

Arne,

I have been looking for authentic fog lamps for three years. I came close a couple of times, but no luck. A couple of years ago, Chloe (remember her?) called me up and said there was a pair of lights on Zcar.com. I bought them and as near as I can tell, these are 280Z option lamps. They may be Bosch; I need to go over to the shop and check. They are in very nice condition and as you can see, come with the plastic Datsun covers.

This is what I am looking for.

post-4148-14150798612171_thumb.jpg

Great, that is tons of help. I'll install the relay to make sure that I don't fry the harness. I am headed over to MSA this afternoon and will pick up my lights. Thanks. Once they are installed I'll let everyone know how it went.

Randy,

Did you get the MSA driving lights? You might want to consider PIAA driving lights. They are the very best lights I have ever had and I have had Bosch, Carrello, Hella, et al and PIAA by far are not only the brightest but also the best built. (no rust, corrosion, condensation etc.).

Anyway, just my two cents worth......

George

George, thanks for the RX and info. I did not make it there yesterday, I forgot that I had a date with Chuck E Cheese. I'll look into the PIIA lights. I really have no need to rush into the purchase as I am waiting on my carbs to come back from ZTherapy.

Randy,

I can't say enough good things about PIAA. I know they are pricey but they are worth every cent. Personally, I would do without driving lights until I could get a set. They do go on sale and you might want to give Ebay a try as I have seen them on there.

I replaced the all the "wonderful" stock GM lights (including fog) with PIAA's on my Corvette and the difference was astronomical.... I am not sure if this is more a statement about how bad GM lights are or how great PIAA lights are.... but seriously, on the Z, the PIAA driving lights in the evening, on desert roads, light up the sky like nothing else.... If you know someone who has them, perhaps you can test them out or just ask them, I am sure they will confirm my enthusiasm for them.

George

The relay suggestion is a really good one. I used the factory wiring many years ago to connect up some Lucas fog lights and the wiring always got hot. I also used similiar switch to the rear window defroster, so I think that contributed to the problem as well. After you wire it, be sure to check the wiring to make sure it doesn't heat up.

Bob