IGNORED

16" Watanabe's on 240K

Hi Guys,

i am just about to put in an order for a set of 16x8 (0 offset) front and 16x8.5 (-6 offset) rear watanabe R's in magnesium centre and polished lips.

The reason i am going so large is to fit a set of R34 Skyline GTT disc and calipers on the front (large 4 spot aluminimum calipers, 300mm discs). I chose the particular offset and size as this was one of the 2 recommendations from the watanabe website (the other being in 15") for the KPGC110 GTR, and the GTT came out with 17" wheels standard.

To be honest, i have no idea if the 16" will fit, i have the flares to go on the car, but someone also said the GT-R track is wider than the KHGC110.

anybody here good with working out suspension geometries? will this wheels fit? the car will be engineered with them, so if it is slightly dodgy, it will cause me grief later on

the watanabe suggestion for the khgc110 is 15x6.5 (+14.5 offset) front and rear

• 3 weeks later...

i'm still learning and researching this topic, but it doesn't sound like your 16" should be a problem provided you do the flares. the tire height really isn't an issue since you'll be running "rubber bands" anyway. i don't think the track is wider--just that the flares allow mega negative offset. in fact, depending on the flares you use, you may find the track a little narrow

i contacted the agent that is getting them for me, and he is getting a scale drawing with measurements from watanabe for me for both 15 and 16" rims, i will post the info when i get it.

i would just hate to order $2500 rims and find they don't fit when they arrive :(, besides, i am thinking that 15" may now be the go, just not sure if the 16's would look too big for the car.. it really is going to depend on whether the R34 GTT disks and calipers will fit in the 15" wheels (but i am inclined to think they won't)

Hi mate who is your agent and is the price of $2500 for them landed to your door or without shipping?

Also what about import taxes? I'm trying to weigh up some options, would really like Wat's but don't know if they are really worth the price they are looking to cost. Might be better off with some Work wheels in 3 piece.

I have also heard that the track of the GT-R was different to the other models. Remember they had disc brakes too...

I already gave you as much information as I can on my car... can't say anything about brake clearances though. I too would like details on the supplier like I already asked though ...

From what I have heard and read the R34&Z33 brakes will NOT fit in a 15" wheel.

However the slightly smaller Z32/R32 4piston calipers and brakes WILL FIT.

There was a detailed thread about this on the Z email group just recently... Someone compared Z32/R32 to the newer R34/Z33 and pointed out the differences. I've saved the email and would love to copy and paste it here right now but my work firewall makes it impossible to access my hotmail account. Can you wait until later tonight for that info?

-e

Several of the Japanese tuner stores for our cars sell CNC brackets for adapting the Z32/R32 calipers to our stock uprights and use off the shelf rotors from other cars.

For example, GritTune in Kawaguchi (Saitama Pref. North-west-ish of the city):

http://www.grit-tune.com/

If this doesn't spell it all out... what rotors to use, what size wheels, etc..

Check the attachment... i am going to try to get a pair of the brackets when i go there next month

-e

post-1574-14150797091628_thumb.jpg

Wow Eric!

don't suppose you can email them to find out if they have/can do an adaptor for the R34 GTT calipers on the GC110?

would love to get the info out of that email about the differences.. i still have my Z32 NA calipers so if there is little difference, it might be better for me to revert back to them (they are certainly lighter and bigger though) and try and get hold of a set of the adaptors from grit-tune

pm me if your interested in the contact details of the guy in Australia selling me the watanabe's, i have the size drawings here too, just need to scan them in (and decipher them :))

I'm thinking about springing for the 55000yen disc/adapter package listed for S30 when I'm over there... So at least I can use it right away on the car, and then start looking for some replacement brake discs available in the USA that will match that 300mm diameter one their kit comes with...

I can't exactly go down to my local nissan dealer and ask for another set of front R32 TypeM brake rotors...

I had asked a friend to inquire if they sold the adapters separately - they do and at 22000yen as I recall... If you search on Yahoo Auctions you will see similar adapters pop up here and there as well for usually the same amount of money...

-e

PS: I'm sorry I forgot to post the R32 brake tech email I referenced earlier... I simply forgot...

Here it is...

I got someone to email me the email post:

To: z-car@taex001.tamu.edu

Subject: <90+> re: Skyline brakes and so on (was Brake Rotors)

Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:51:35 -0600

> >Tom Bell wrote:

> >There's a misconception about the Skyline brakes.

> >The Z32 and the Skyline R30-31 shared the same brakes.

> >The Skyline R32 featured a thicker brake rotor of the same diameter,

> >but there is no significant difference in the design or construction

> >of the R32 brakes: the internal cooling fins are the same, and they

> >did not come cross-drilled from the factory.

> >---------------------------------

>

>Not quite Tom,

>The R30 uses a single piston sliding calliper, with either 89.9 or

>100mm spacing depending on the specification of the car. The front

>discs on the R30 are either a 250mmx18mm hub-integrated, or a

>274mmx22mm hub-over type. The HR31 brakes are similar in that the

>construction of the performance (100mm spacing, 274mm disc) calliper

>is slightly different & ABS may be fitted. The HR31 front disc also

>differs in being a floating type.

>

>Nissan didn't move into 4-spot territory until the end of '89, when

>the Z32 & R32 were released. The Z32 callipers are the same as the

>R32 GTSt callipers, which differ to the R32 GT-R/R33 callipers only

>by being designed to have a smaller circumference disc in use (the

>'mounting ears' are shorter). The Brembo's are a different beast,

>324mm X 30mm discs - they all bolt up, but cost lots & big wheels are

>needed. The Brembo's are a common upgrade for the C34 Stagea, which

>sufferes from the use of a 2-spot sliding calliper on big discs. You

>can fit the R32/Z32 calliper with the R33 disc under a 15" wheel on

>an S30.

>

>The late PS13 180SX also has 4-spots, almost identical to the R32

>units, but thinner to accommodate a 22mm disc instead of a 30mm disc.

>

>If you want to know what disc is on what (and from that, get a fairly

>good indication of the cross-use of the callipers) check out

>www.dba.com.au & download the Nissan Catalogue.

>

>Note that the listing for the R30 GTS FJ20DET should read DR30 FJ20ET

>& the rear disc in that model is a 290mm, not a 258mm as specified in

>the catalogue. I e-mailed DBA about this around 3 years ago...

>

>Ben

>Adelaide,

>South Australia

>IZCC#1902

>L28ET 240Z

>FJ20ET DR30 Skyline RS-X Turbo

>RB25DET WGNC34 Stagea RS-FourV

>RB30E R31 Skyline (track car to-be)

>http://www.versadev.com/ben