IGNORED

Brake Shims

Aussie Zed

I've got the dreaded brake squeal, it is now time to do something about it (well it has been for a while). I've read that these can be bought from MSA, but i can't see them there:

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SBC

I've also read that brake grease can solve the problem, but doesn't always. So, i figure that if i'm going to do something about this then i should do it properly and get some shims. Where else can i get these from? Is there anywhere in Australia that has them? Could i make them myself?

Thanks,

Jon

You should be able to get them from just about any Nissan dealer...Left shim P/N: 41085-E4100 Right shim P/N: 41084-E4100. You also might try the following url: http://www.nissanparts.cc

Have enclosed a picture as well in case you need to show the parts person what they look like...otherwise they kind of look at you like a deer when you shine your headlights in it's eyes...and say something like "Say What???"

webdawg1

Anti-Squeal Shims.bmp

Several years working on brakes for a living lead me to say that you should use both shims and brake grease.

• If you are re-using existing pads, clean the back surface and edges of the backing plates as well.
  • Apply a thin coat of the grease to the shim where it sits on the backing plate.
  • Apply a thin coat to the edges of the backing plate, with special attention to any spots that look like they have metal-to-metal contact.
  • Apply a thin coat to the piston surface where it contacts the backing plate and shim.
  • Use new retaining hardware if possible, or clean the existing hardware thoroughly.
  • Put a thin coat of grease on the cups of the spring plates that go between the two retaining pins.

not too long ago I bought a set of shims and all the rest of the caliper hardware (pins, clips, and springs) from a local parts store. I forget what brand was on the box, but when I opened the box there was a paper tag inside the plastic bag that contained all of the parts with the name "Girling" on it. IIRC it was less than $20 and I got all new everything (except pads).

I also use silicone brake grease and shims in combination.

I'll try a Nissan dealer on Friday and see how i go. Thanks for the help.

260DET, i originally tried to get Bendix Ultimates but have been informed that they are now a discontinued item (they are bringing in another performance replacement soon though).

Thanks

Jon

• 5 months later...

I tried some of the anti-squeal compound, and it is working for now. How lond does the liquid stuff (from a tube applicator) last?

I also saw spray-on stuff, what is that like?

From the Haynes book, the anti-squeal shims in the pictures look like a very thin paper-like material, is that what it's made of? I'm wondering because another person here used cloth-backed duct tape, but it didn't last more than several years.

thx

The shims on my car are thin sheets of stainless steel. In years of doing brake service, I never had really great results using any of the anti-squeal stuff, either in tube or spray on. I use proper shims and brake grease instead.

It's the pads.

You squeeze them together, and they make heat, which is a kind of energy. This energy has an equivalence in vibration/sound, so it makes a noise which is transferred to the brake caliper. Using the shims or anti-squeal compound is like a layer of sound-deadening insulation.