IGNORED

I have $15k. Resto on zed or new car?

MickieB

Bit expensive for a 180, as others have said most of them have been belted, suffered from mostly well meaning mods and are getting a bit old for the money. They are a great drivers car and will outhandle a S30 stock, no doubt about that. The S30 needs a lot of work to make it handle really well and even then won't be better than a well sorted 180 with a lot less spent on it suspension wise.

It comes down to what you want in a car, your decision :)

My advice. If you want somthing that goes fast now that you dont have to wait for, go out and get yourself an R32 Skyline GTSt. In my opinion they are a lot better car than the S13's and the should/will be able to retain their value a $^!# load better

On the other hand, if you would like to have the old school car, listen to what Gav has to say. $15000 will buy you an extremely mint condition 2 seater Zed. Also dont write off the L engine. The L28 is a good and strong engine.

Yeah i'm a bit unsure about only having 2 seats though... But i'll look into it. I did see the 240z in the new unique cars mag, and thought about it long and hard. I think maybe i will buy another zed...... I'll see what pops up.. What are my chances of getting a turbo'd one or at least a pretty modded one for under 15k in the 2-seaters?

Easy I recon. Do you remember Matts 260Z? Looks identical to mine, except it's pretty much perfect. He was interested in selling that for around the 13k mark. L28, tripple webbers, fair bit of work on suspension and brakes. Beautiful car....makes be very very jealous! Ran a 14.4.....so pretty stout in a straight line....that's as quick as most turbo imports with the basic mods.

What are my chances of getting a turbo'd one or at least a pretty modded one for under 15k in the 2-seaters?

Like I said, there were a couple on carpoint.com.au just a week or so ago, there was a nice silver one but it looks lik its gone now. The copper one is still there.

The other thought i had was that i found one for $4k which seems to only have a bit of surface rust as the problem. I could prob afford that and get a respray AND an rb25det if i installed the engine myself you think? My main thing is finding one with a good interior. Cause i plan to get a respray anyhow cause i have a colour i want.

DIY....yeah I recon you can do it. Do remember things like suspension and brakes will also need to be done. I'd be weary of a 4k zed though...unless you're very lucky it'll end up costing you more than buying one that someone has already done.

As long as DIY means fabricating your own sump, engine mounts, gearbox mount, modify your own trunsmission tunnel, wire all the electrics, build your own tailshaft, do your own CV conversion, do all your own lines and upgrade your own suspension and brakes to suit, and fabricating and welding any replacement rusts panels then it is remotely possible to do this, as well as properly respray the car but still doubtful for $15k. I would say you will find a lot of arts that need renewal along the way and the supply alone cost will be in the thousands. The cheapest quality respray will still cost around $3000 without major bodywork. All rusted panels will need to be sectioned and replacements fabricated, otherwise the money on the respray is a waste of time.