IGNORED

Racing $$$

SuperDave

I'm constantly amazed by the smug attitudes I see on some of the other racing forums online. There is this attitude that if you aren't willing to spend yourself silly, you don't belong. The discussion was about scales for corner-weighting and someone posted the comment that if you don't have $300 to spend on Riggs scales, you're in the wrong sport.

Really friendly, huh? I replied that you can get weighed for free as many times as you like at most SCCA events and get 4-wheel weights. People ripped me like I was an idiot. Hey, I was just suggesting how you can do something for free instead of paying hundreds, or even $50 to rent a set of scales for the day.

I am in the minority, obviously. So many guys in this sport are throwing around silly amounts of money and may or may not be running up front.

To me, an equally exciting challenge is to see how much I can get out of a car by learning to do things myself and spending as little money as possible.

At the end of the day, I want to be able to have beer money and a smile on my face. I think there are plenty of people racing who are not having fun. And if they have beer money, it's because they've max'd their credit card.

I know what your saying about the attitudes, but I don't think it has anything to do with racing or any other sporting event for that matter. I believe it has to do with certain individuals only! You see these poor attitudes in all walks of life...not just in racing. Just consider the source of the poor attitude. Some people tend to think that because they have $$$ they are much more important and way smarter than those that don't have the $$$ to throw around. They are so insecure with themselves that they resort to putting others down....they think it makes them look better. Yah right! They are only exposing their insecurities. Just let it go!!!!

To some people it is all about stroking their EGO's, winning becomes an obsession at any price. The thrill of winning becomes all consuming, and the fun of racing falls by the wayside.

The $$$ get involved when these people want to win so bad that they will throw any resource at it to do so. Like standing on a podium for a stupid ribbon means that your a better person?

We have to put up with the porsche crowd here in Southern California, some of the worst drivers to ever roll onto the track....all $$$ no tallent punks that think you are a lower class individual if you don't drive a car that starts with "P".

Well I am here to tell you there are a couple of guys out here that are kicking a$$ over the "P" guys and they dont like it...Atempeting rule changes to exclude us, limiting our gearbox options to slow us down etc. It's unreal....

I will get off my soap box now....

R

Yes, the money and attitude is in everything. I feel we are lucky and work hard for every dollar we spend on this racing habit. But what I enjoy is just being able to be on the track doing what you like. And even more fun is pitting next to the Vipers, Vetts, and P-guys watching their money flow all over the place, and then giving them a rear view mirror full of our little 34 year old Datusn. I see friends putting lots of money into big fast racecars, but I don't see the big show for the money?

Something funny (because no cars got hurt) but last month, I had a P-guy spin in front of me and Cindy had another spin in front of her while we drove on around them and they had a funniest scared look- eyes all big- :eek:

We just do what we can and are happy doing it in a Z. :love:

This was the advantage that Datsun had back in the early 70's. They didn't have to spend as much as the others and could still win over a car that had much more money in it. Gotta love that :classic:

Vicky

Absolutely. I think the Z's history is part of how I have come to arrive at my attitude and why some others have the attitudes they have about their cars.

The Z was (the first generation at least) a relatively inexpensive car. A middle-class teenager drove the first Z I saw in my hometown. Over the years you saw many Z's in the hands of African-Americans (I'm not making a judgment about that--just stating an observation--maybe I'm wrong). And it remains one of the most reasonable classic cars to own.

So we Z owners tend to be regular folks. We just don't have that much room to get too snobby.

If we had more money and REALLY wanted to show it off, we might own something else (although I am hard-pressed to name that car--maybe a Ferrari, a 911--ho hum, I've never really wanted a Vette) and we'd pay Luigi to work on it for us instead of crawling in the dirt in the carport getting (not only greasy but) dirty as we tinkered with our Z.

To some people it is all about stroking their EGO's, winning becomes an obsession at any price. The thrill of winning becomes all consuming, and the fun of racing falls by the wayside.

I probably sound like a Communist to some when I say this: It doesn't always have to be about winning.

You see these poor attitudes in all walks of life...not just in racing.

It's not exactly related, but it makes me think about what Paul Newman said a few years ago about the traffic at the 24 Hours of Daytona: "Some people are curteous and some are not."

I would like to contribute a few observations being retired from the SCCA myself.

Racing is about winning. I think if you are not on the track to go as fast as you can go and make every attempt to win, then you are blocking traffic. I don't see many Z cars beating Porsches here in Central Florida these days. Could be just here. People, in general, like to talk about how much money they spend. Usually, and I say usually, people who don't spend much money on their cars have a slow and ugly car. Generally, I agree that spending a ton of money does not necessarily get you into the winner's circle. It d o e s take some talent.

I'm constantly amazed by the smug attitudes I see on some of the other racing forums online. you're in the wrong sport.

Really friendly, huh? Hey, I was just suggesting how you can do something for free instead of paying hundreds, or even $50 to rent a set of scales for the day.

I am in the minority, obviously. So many guys in this sport are throwing around silly amounts of money and may or may not be running up front.

d.

HI SuperDave,

I was surprised at the remarks made concerning $$$, and being no business racing with out mucho $$$$

There are a few that can come accross smug on ITouring.., and a very few in person even....I get to meet very few of the people at the track simply because I have chosen the highest maintenence car for SCCA racing the Z.....but Our Z still finishes in front of the "P" cars!!!!

The 325s are top dog now, but I for 1 can't justify a $40,000 car for a chance for a trophy...we may not have "THE" car to have now, but the zdrivers are IMO the class of the field!!!

david

Oh so familiar :)

Concerning the P cars, their club members used to compete in open events against anyone who turned up. Then it seems their expensive toys started to be owned by a couple of Z punters who really could drive. After a while they stopped participating and now run their own events.

Had to laugh when talking to a P club member who also owned a high spec Skyline. They hated him turning up to P club events in the Skyline because he could beat all but the top few pro's in their Porsche Cup cars ROFL

SuperDave is right, and that is one reason why I don't race SCCA. There were a few nice people there, but most of them rated a 10 on the Smug Scale. They are so busy making new rules that actually running an automobile race seems like an afterthought.

Its really a shame, and it seems to occur primarily in established road racing. In my fifteen years of oval tracking in both open and closed wheel cars, the Smug Factor was relatively low. I'm always in search of a new track or organization that does not suffer from SCCA involvement and relaxes the rules.

Remember the Racing Cycle of Life: start cheap series, really fun, lots of people get involved. People want prize money, cars get more expensive. Expensive cars make it big time on TV. Expensive cars get even more expensive, then no one races anymore and everyone wonders why. That is the Racing Cycle of Life. No one is exempt... even Indycar and F1.