Datsun Scarab Info

This is a discussion on Datsun Scarab Info within the Scarab forums, part of the Modified and Non-Stock Z category; Does anyone have any more info on the Datsun Scarab?. I am after specs, production no's and any copys of ...

Member ID
    CZCC-1353

Default Datsun Scarab Info

Does anyone have any more info on the Datsun Scarab?. I am after specs, production no's and any copys of actual ads or litriture from the people who make the Scarab conversion. The reson for this is I am tring to get it homoligated to run in our sports car series in Australia and the need proof that enough cars were made and what the engine,gearbox etc spec were. Any Info would be of great help

Thanks
    Ash

Member ID
    CZCC-1469

Default scarab

From what I understand scarab was for the most part A mailorder kit. If I am wrong sorry this is just what I have been told by many people. If that is the case you wont find any kind of production #s.
    I reside in Oklahoma and live at the wheel of my 240Z

gimmie the Z or he's toast

Member ID
    CZCC-1469

Thumbs up found this

I have been collecting information for about 1 year now and can get most info first hand. My father and uncle were the original engine builders for Brian Scarab in the 1970's. There respective shops were back to back in Campbell, CA.

Basic progression started out with Chevy 350 Crate motors, with a Warner T-10 Tranny, custom Drive line and Radiator connected to a T-Bird rear end. Some minor Suspension mods and custom motor mounts were fabricated as well.

Later versions of the engine were more performance oriented and included up to a Twin Turbo 280z clocked at well over 170 mph in So. CA. The Scarab car was either custom built (the owner supplied the car to Brian for Mods) or a kit could be purchased for self-modification.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

-Andy Tencati
    I reside in Oklahoma and live at the wheel of my 240Z

gimmie the Z or he's toast

R0N
    Member ID
    CZCC-2653

Thumbs up

There are 3 Scarabs that were made for production (if you wanna call it that.) One of them just disappeared the face of the earth. There are only 2 existing according to Hoover Chan.

Hoover owned one of the original Scarab. I got to ride in it at a Hybridz meet in San Leandro, CA. It was his last drive before he sold it to someone out of the CA state.

Each car had the builders signature'(s). I'm sure you can find some pictures at Hybridz.org
    -R

http://photos.yahoo.com/rsotto@sbcglobal.net

Member ID
    CZCC-5948

Default Scarab

I believe I have what you wish -just have to find it-
    have the original Scarab conversion book some where in my office -will look for you- John Olson Elgin Ill. 847-464-5280

Member ID
    CZCC-3356

Take a look at my site for a few Scarab pix. I could try and contact the owner, he lives here in town and I think he's a member of the local Z club.
    '70 240Z - HLS30-08215 - Production Date 8/70
    '70 240Z - HLS30-06293 - Rusty and has Identity Crisis (must have been wrecked and the back 1/2 sectioned in from a later car maybe even a 280Z)...PARTS CAR!
    '71 240Z - HLS30-018482 - Production Date 1/71,Corvette Yellow, driven under a 4Runner, bought for parts, hit lotto with parts on car, may fix and put back on road

My Photo Gallery

Member ID
    CZCC-6092

I purchased a 1973 240 Z scarrab about 3 years ago. I have the documentation on where it had been sent to california in 1978 for the modifications. I'm not sure if this is a production model or not. I would appreciate any information you could supply me with.

Member ID
    CZCC-5755

Default scarab

Here's some info. If you need more just ask specific questions and I will dig up answers for you.

Founder of Scarab Engineering: Brian Morrow

Meaning of Scarab: Egyptian symbol of longevity and rebirth.

Company startup: January 1976

Owner of Scarab #1: Joseph Morrey

Number of production cars built: 200 to 300, Kits were also sold for around $1200.

Cost for conversion: $7,950 (1976)

Standard conversion upgrades: too many to list
    I can cut and past the list if you want.

Options; Again, too many to list, can cut and paste as well

Scarab also put together a turbo version in 1980 (0-60 in 5.1 seconds) Cost: $35,000

Undoing of Scarab: Emissions Standards and recession of the early '80's

Member ID
    CZCC-2363

Default Re: Datsun Scarab Info

Originally posted by zr240
    The reson for this is I am tring to get it homoligated to run in our sports car series in Australia and the need proof that enough cars were made and what the engine,gearbox etc spec were. Any Info would be of great help

Thanks
    Ash
    Ash,
    I think you may be pushing it uphill on this. For similar reasons that preclude the use of triple carbs. in Historic Racing.

Homlogation is provided by the factory, whereas Scarab was private concern. If they did have the body homlogated then it would be available thru the FIA, ask CAMS first for any further info.

MOM
    Mike of the Mire

73 240Z Rally
    77 260Z Touring

Bogged but not beaten

Member ID
    CZCC-4
    Blog Entries

I'd like to see the original list of modifications and options. Can you go ahead and cut-paste them into a message?
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-5755

I will paste it in later tonight

Member ID
    CZCC-5755

Default features

Here is most of it. I didn't brake down pricing, just listed what you got or coukd get:

Standard Features:
    Drivetrain:
    Balanced, blueprinted Chevy 350 (300hp) smallblock with electronic ignition
    specially designed cross-flow radiator
    high-performance water pump
    flex fan to cool the 22-quart-capacity system
    Borg Warner Super T-10 4 speed with special Hurst competition shifter linkage
    complete exhaust system with a pair of glasspack mufflers

Suspension:
    Koni adjustable shocks
    front and rear sway bars
    Teflon compression strut bushings
    high-performance rack and pinion mounts
    and springs by Scarab
    torque control arm, it is essentially a quarter-inch-thick piece of steel bent into a U shape, with about 3/8 of rubber laid in the bottom of the U. Scarab installed it from beneath the front differential mount, bolting front and back into holes tapping into the metal framework of the differential insulator. The torque control arm minimized the forces on the mount and on the front end of the differential itself without totally eliminating the cushioning effects of the insulator like a solid mount would.

Brakes:
    Disc/Drum (power) with HP pads/shoes or optional FIA 4 piston calipers
    Later cars could be had with four-wheel discs, and those with drum brakes could have optional finned cast-iron drums

Interior:
    Door panels are soundproofed and covered in glove soft, hand-sewn Scottish leather
    Momo leather steering wheel
    Seats were re-padded and covered in Scottish leather and velour to match the door panels and console lid
    Deep pile carpeting

Exterior:
    Trans-Am front air dam, rear Trans-Am spoiler
    Twin exterior rally mirrors
    louvered hood and access panels
    Scarab logo with associated emblems
    high-speed driving lights
    All exterior Datsun badging was removed from the Scarab factory cars: the low production volume of these vehicles was highlighted by Scarab factory-specific badging that included raised Scarab lettering to replace the Datsun front fender nameplates, and Scarab Performance black-and-gold rectangular decals in the lower left corner of the windshield and the lower right corner of the rear hatch glass
    heavy gold medallions containing the Egyptian Scarab Beetle emblem

Optional Features:
    Drivetrain:
    350 SB (325 or 370hp naturally aspirated)
    Turbo (425hp)
    automatic transmission
    Limited slip differentials in R-180 or R-200

Brakes:
    four-wheel discs
    finned cast-iron drums

Interior:
    Recaro contoured, reclining bucket seats with headrests
    12 coats of hand-rubbed lacquer

Exterior:
    whale tail
    reverse scoop hood with side fender louvers
    rectangular headlights
    flared fender packages
    rear window shade

Wheels:
    Cromodora Turbina wheels
    Campagnolo or Appliance Wheels
    BBS wheels
    Pirelli CN36 tires

Member ID
    CZCC-3356

I have just finished sorting through a TON of Z stuff I got from someone on one of the boards I'm a member of and there is some Scarab info in there including some pix. Please feel free to look around at it and download what you want, here's the link (just scroll down to the Scarab directory): http://www.pape.ws/allan_and_rosanne/Z-Car_Stuff/

This is not a pretty page, it's just a directory listing but there's a lot of good info, pix, and videos there.
    '70 240Z - HLS30-06293 - Rusty and has Identity Crisis (must have been wrecked and the back 1/2 sectioned in from a later car maybe even a 280Z)...PARTS CAR!
    '71 240Z - HLS30-018482 - Production Date 1/71,Corvette Yellow, driven under a 4Runner, bought for parts, hit lotto with parts on car, may fix and put back on road

My Photo Gallery

Member ID
    CZCC-5195

I believe the Winter 2002 issue of Sport Z Magazine has an entire article on the Scarab (The Original 350Z). BTW the first few started out with 327ci engine. This is great reading on such a rare "Hybrid". It was known as the "Cobra of the 70's".

I would love to own an original Scarab like the one featured in the magazine.

Vicky
    Zweet

Member ID
    CZCC-6092

Vicky, I might have what your looking for. I would post a picture for you but I'm apparently technically challanged and can't seem to get it to poston this site. Mark

Member ID
    CZCC-5755

The information I posted came from the magazine, I cut and pasted from the original file. Like I said there was a lot more but then I might as well have pasted the whole article. Attached is a nice picture of the car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Datsun Scarab Info-scarab.jpg  

Member ID
    CZCC-5195

Originally posted by genes
    Vicky, I might have what your looking for. I would post a picture for you but I'm apparently technically challanged and can't seem to get it to poston this site. Mark
    Please don't tell me you have an original early Scarab for sale.......do you? Or are you just saying you have some pictures to post.

I would give up my first born for a TRUE Scarab. (I have no children, except the 4 wheeled type known as Z Cars)

Vicky
    Zweet

Member ID
    CZCC-6092

Vicky, I not sure what your referring to when you say an original Scarrab. I'm not really that familar with them. I have several digital pictures of my car if you want me to e-mail them to you. I also have all the original documentation including original invoice and correspondences. On the door jamb the vechile has the Scarrab I.D. plate. The production number is #133. Mark

Member ID
    CZCC-5195

Originally posted by genes
    Vicky, I not sure what your referring to when you say an original Scarrab. I'm not really that familar with them. I have several digital pictures of my car if you want me to e-mail them to you. I also have all the original documentation including original invoice and correspondences. On the door jamb the vechile has the Scarrab I.D. plate. The production number is #133. Mark
    Well I'd read somewhere that after a few years of producing the cars the general public was able to by the badges but they didn't have the "Scarab" inscription. The original founder, Brian Morrow, would not recognize these has "his" hybrid. I'm guessing that they offered a "do it yourself" kit. I could be wrong as the mind does tend to fade with age, hehehe.

Heck yeah, I would love to see pics of your car!!!

Thanks

Vicky
    Zweet

Member ID
    CZCC-6092

Vicky, Part of the paperwork I have is the original invoice where the car was sent to California in 1978 for the conversion. It has the leather interior, Recaro bucket seats, flared wheel wells, BBS racing rims, louvered hood and access panels, rear spoiler and front air dam, etc. I good fax you a copy of the invoice that lists the options. I'll need a e-mail addresss to send the pictures to.

Member ID
    CZCC-6092

Vicky, Part of the paperwork I have is the original invoice where the car was sent to California in 1978 for the conversion. It has the leather interior, Recaro bucket seats, flared wheel wells, BBS racing rims, louvered hood and access panels, rear spoiler and front air dam, etc. I good fax you a copy of the invoice that lists the options. I'll need a e-mail addresss to send the pictures to.

Member ID
    CZCC-19528

Default Scarab Info

There were a total of 273 factory cars produced to include five convertibles and three 2+2 cars Of which I own one a 1977. The cars were built in Brian's facility in Savoy California (just outside San Diego). The only cars that wore Scarab badges were those produced at the factory. Kits were availible for do it your self conversions but the badges were never sold. There were numerous body configurations including square headlight conversions... wide body kits... cowl hoods... louvered hoods and fenders... alot of frufru.... anything for a price.

Member ID
    CZCC-4
    Blog Entries

I have a particular interest in the Scarab. I created a dedicated forum on this website just to discuss Scarab and act as a 'holding place' for others to provide information as well. Check out the forum: http://www.amdag.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100

I'm going to move this thread into the same forum...

Anyway, I'm always interested in finding out more with these cars. Going for a ride would be an awesome experience.

Mike

Edit: Oh wow, Just noticed this is an OOOLD thread from 2004.
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Yea, but Mark posted yesterday to revive this. I too, have a particular interest in the Scarab. Vicki ZRush has one.
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Quote Originally Posted by 26th-Z View Post
    Vicki ZRush has one.
    Have you heard from her? If so, how's she getting along? Haven't seen her on the site for quite some time.

Member ID
    CZCC-17662

I own factory Scarab # 155 and have been collecting information and developed a Registry since 1996. Looking at the thread, I find some things that are unusual. According to all the data I have, Scarab Engineering -- Brian Morrow's company--- was only in three northern California cities -- Campbell, San Carlos and (ultimately) San Jose. I've never tracked them down to the San Diego area.

Second, extensive research seems to suggest that somewhere less than 200 "factory" VIN Scarabs were ever produced. As stated in the thread, many "customer cars" were converted by Scarab as an optional cost to the kits and over a thousand kits were sold during the life of the company.

So far, the highest verifiable factory VIN has been # 189. I just locatedd VIN # 0003 about 6 months ago and it is now undergoing a full restro.

If anyone (whom I've not already spoken with) believesthey have a Scarab, please PM me and I'll add to the registry.

BTW-- since 1996 I've been able to find and authenticate less than 20 true "factory" VIN Scarabs.

Craig

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Quote Originally Posted by sblake01 View Post
    Have you heard from her? If so, how's she getting along? Haven't seen her on the site for quite some time.
    Your question prompted me to call her chok'n-ass up as I haven't talked to her in long time either. She was in good spirits and seems to be getting along pretty well. The economy has her down as is typical these days. She says ZRush is sleeping in the garage and the Scarab is still apart and waiting for restoration funding. Evidently she still has a dial-up connection and doesn't play computers much as a result. She drives a 280Z which she calls the Double D. She says it means daily driver, but I tease her about the reference.
    Last edited by 26th-Z; 06-20-2009 at 03:30 PM.
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Good to hear that she's okay. I met her and Scott and MSA a few years back and they were nice people. I was acoustomed to seeing her posts here which have thinned down considerably, if not ceased alltogether since Scott's untimely passing.

Member ID
    CZCC-10660

I worked for Brian Morrow at his Campbell shop while in high school in 1977. I even got to drive a Scarab conversion to Santa Cruz for a car show. That was a good day! Anyway, my best friend's sister was married to Brian and he and I both worked in his Campbell manufacturing facilty. The old memory is not what it once was, but I may be able to add some first hand information for anyone who wamts it.

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

There is a real scarab hood for sale locally on CL. Here is the link

http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org...301713893.html

Member ID
    CZCC-3356

Quote Originally Posted by mtan View Post
    I worked for Brian Morrow at his Campbell shop while in high school in 1977. I even got to drive a Scarab conversion to Santa Cruz for a car show. That was a good day! Anyway, my best friend's sister was married to Brian and he and I both worked in his Campbell manufacturing facilty. The old memory is not what it once was, but I may be able to add some first hand information for anyone who wamts it.
    Absolutely!! More information on this would be great especially first hand info.

My Photo Gallery

Member ID
    CZCC-18366
    Blog Entries

There is a Scarab coming up for auction here in Sun Valley in Idaho in early September. At least the advertisement was in the local paper and we have a Sun Valley here. Attached is a picture of the car (poor scan of newspaper print). It is a 72.
    I am not affiliated in any way remote or otherwise with the auction.
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Datsun Scarab Info-scarab_72_closeup_smaller.jpg   Datsun Scarab Info-contact_for_auction_smaller.jpg   Datsun Scarab Info-scarab_auction_smaller.jpg  
    Last edited by Mikes Z car; 08-28-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: add something

70 240Z HLS30-00907, 1/70, wiper motor 97 Accord, Dave's harness mods, turn signal relay mod, quartz movement in clock, map light fixed, connectors cleaned/greased, 60A alt w/ NOS voltage regulator, weatherstrip replaced, defroster grid replaced, undergoing rust prevention. Previous owner of 71 240Z, 8/71, HLS30-41545, last seen in Sacramento painted blue (originally orange) has anyone seen it?

Member ID
    CZCC-17662

Mike:

Can't tell from the pictures -- does the car have Scarab letters on the lower front fender and the Scarab "bug" in place of the Z on the sail panel ? Also, do they indicate a Scarab VIN# in the ads ?? Thanks Craig

Member ID
    CZCC-17326

Member ID
    CZCC-18366
    Blog Entries

Scarab 155.
    I can't tell from the photos if it has the Scarab badging. Having never seen one personally I didn't know to look for that. Maybe they called it a scarab to garner attention and it really is just a 240Z with a 327 in it? I saw it listed in the paper here this morning and noticed the recent thread on Scarabs. Mikemerkury posted a much better picture; there may be clues there a better trained eye could spot. Maybe the size or shape of the Scarab badging can be discerned even if it can't be read.
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-17326

This one does look like the real thing :
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ra...334418038.html

Member ID
    CZCC-17662

Mike & Mike:

Thanks for the additional info. I went to the Silver Auctions site and the car is not listed as a Scarab there. However, looking very closely at the photo on the site... I "think" I might see the gold of a Scarab "bug" on the sail panel and the louvers on the hood and inspection covers. If it Is a real factory Scarab it should have a Scarab VIN plate on the drivers door jamb below the Nissan plate. This will have the Scarab VIN # and build date. That and about a half dozen other "factory only" mods would confirm it is a "factory" Scarab. For those who are interested, only 17 known factory Scarabs have been accounted for ... real Scarabs are $ 20,000 + classics. FYI-- the Minnesota car -- nice as it is -- is a kit car made from the kits sold by Scarab Enginnering in the late 70's. They sold more than 1,000 kits. I've authenticated several factory Scarabs prior to sale... if anyone knows the owner of the car on Silver Auctions, please put him in touch ..

Thanks Scarab # 155

Member ID
    CZCC-9399

I contacted the auction company and asked them to forward my contact info to the seller to see if he'll get in touch with me to verify the car. Let's keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.

David

Member ID
    CZCC-9399

No reply from the auction, too bad.

Member ID
    CZCC-9399

Member ID
    CZCC-26357

The factory cars where expensive $8-12k, road and track did an article on them. check my age. my be loved 350turbo/350 chevy powered - whaletailed, air dam with the hood scopes - with full shocks, and aluminum derim busings.

the keys where the speedo and the resistor needed to convert the ignition. i bought my 1973 built by dragracer not factory kit.

i fixed the problem with a resistor never did get the speedo too work but i did doo the kit from scarab, suspension and body parts. springs lowered it an 1"

the factory engine fit more forward check R&T around 1976-77 i guess.

i had it painted metallic silver and sold if for $3500 not bad, a 427 vett could be had for $4500 or fully restored R&T 440 magnum charger for same. Or my body who still has his 350 or 327 or 305 powered converible late 60's camero - ugly green pea soup.

My car had side pipes and ratchet shifter - you got it - i want it back. I was telling my son about the manual stearing spin so fast it would sprang my thumbs!

Or when we took, 3 of us, rotation in the back to the play club in lake geneve from lisle il - i got tossed for pulling a bunnies tail.

Wife wanted me too sell at marriage and moving down town Chicago, i had RX-7, 1986.5 supra, eagle talon turbo awd and 1994 twin turbo stealth but i miss that car. I think my stage 1 colbalt ss will take it easy but still - all those donuts and smoke!

The wheel wells were completely coated with rubber!

I kept it in the bat garage - i sounded like a beast, rumble rumble of the open side pipes. freaked out a lot of novas and vettes in the late 70's! The 73 was a great year for the base car.

One mistake is we put a 350 truck engine in it not a car but that just made the smoke thicker!

The B&M ratchet was a blast click click click click click click to 1st - the 2 more clicks to 3rd.

What a beast! clean interior, i has some rust - that 70's jap steel was full of sulfer - i patched it fiberglass and roofing tar - only wheel wells and small areas lower. rest clean.

If it still exists it had a few fish eyes - round circles in my $500 paint job! who cares it was a beast.

ya the car and my 10' python had to go, burmese, should have known. those good year 70's vs my 210 SS, 280hp and 320 torque, about the same weight car. Tires, 18" 40's -lol! i smoke the SS threw 2nd into 3rd. 95g breaking - G-force gauge.
    you find you email me! i want it back!

hopefully the 15" 70's are gone!

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Okay...............................
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    1983 Chevrolet El Camino Conquista
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-26357

Cool looking for my old 1973, chevy 350/turbo 350 car

What a bad post at 4 am, basically i like my car back - it was sold in lisle il around 1985. I have not seen any like it since most scarbs do not have the whale tail from the factory just a small lip rear. The sidepipes made the car really stand out dual exhust on the side had sweet loud but not too loud drag car sound.

If anyone knows of this 1973, B&M shifter, metallic silver car - i am looking to buy it back!

Scarab sourced body parts, complete suspension kit konis, springs and bushing parts, but rough looking engine mounts - homemade. Car ran great - did not need the money had no where to store it as my mom wanted her garage back after it being there for almost 9 years.

thx russ

219-226-9906
    Last edited by dragonsprayer; 02-07-2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsprayer View Post
    What a bad post at 4 am, basically i like my car back - it was sold in lisle il around 1985.
    I got the general gist of your post. I was just being facetious. It was also a tough read at 5 am, however. Good luck in your search. I've been looking for a Z pretty much ever since I sold the last one I owned.
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    1983 Chevrolet El Camino Conquista
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-22534

I saw that car in the junkyard years ago. I think a young guy bought it fixed it up
    and raced Porsche's down I 94 between Chicago and Detroit at high speeds.
    He goes to the junkyard because his mechanic friend tells him he saw the scrapped body of a metallic silver Nissan Z just When he sees the scrapped body of a metallic silver Z in the junkyard, he remembers seeing this car a few years ago with a nice girl in the passenger seat. Intrigued as to why such a classic Japanese performance vehicle is about to be junked, he convinces the junkyard owner to sell it to him. The junkyard owner was told by the previous owner to scrap the car because it is cursed. He soon finds that the car is unnaturally fast due to a tuned V8 engine and B&M shifter.
    I think the owners name is Akio Asakura hope this helps.

BGM

LinkBacks (?)

1. 07-04-2013, 09:23 PM

Thread Information