$69 NISSAN 280Z Chip 60 Horsepower Increase, yada, yada, yada (GForce chip)

This is a discussion on $69 NISSAN 280Z Chip 60 Horsepower Increase, yada, yada, yada (GForce chip) within the Open S30 Z Discussions forums, part of the 1st Generation Z (S30) category; ... or so says the sponsored link at the top of the S30 Forum page! So this electronic snake oil ...

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

Default $69 NISSAN 280Z Chip 60 Horsepower Increase, yada, yada, yada (GForce chip)

... or so says the sponsored link at the top of the S30 Forum page!

So this electronic snake oil product supposedly plugs into the air intake sensor via two wires. From that location, it supposedly reprograms the 280Z's (analog) ECU to unleash its hidden tiger, boosting horsepower by almost 50%. Whoa, baby!

I have to question whether it's appropriate for this forum to post up sponsored links that make claims that absolutely cannot be true. Ignoring all other aspects of their dubious claims, there is no way to program or reprogram an analog ECU. Trust me, I know. I spent many a year designing and building linear circuits such as those controlling our engines. There's also no way it can reprogram ignition timing (as claimed), which is not a function of the ECU. Ignition timing is under entirely mechanical control. And then there's the matter of connectivity. Supposedly a 14 pin SIP is going to connect via only 2 wires? OK... Well, there's the power supply to the chip, which is 2 wires, and then there's the some sort of interface for communications... er.... but WAIT! That's more than 2 wires!

For anyone who is interested in this chip, I will offer the following perspective:

It's a one-size-fits-all product. That means one product for every fuel injection system ever conceived, whether digital or analog, vane-type, MAF, or MAP sensor, O2 sensor or not. How do I know it's the same chip for all vehicles? It's because they boast that their product will not void the factory warranty on our (ANTIQUE!) ECUs. Could it be any plainer than that? If only my 1978 ECU were still under warranty, I'd have Nissan replace it in a heartbeat. It also claims to alter ignition timing, which is beyond the reach of our primitive L-Jet systems, but which IS generally controlled by most later-generation ECUs. Finally, it's supposedly appropriate to reprogram our vehicles no matter how they are modified -- blowers, nitrous, triple Mikunis, you name it!

Could this device work on ANY vehicle as described? No. However, I won't go into the reasons here. I'll only say that altering the air intake temp sensor circuit is generally the least impactful way to muck up a fuel injection system. So people install this thing, it does nothing, and they think they have some increase in power because the alternative is that they just wasted $69 like a perfect idiot. Either that, or they are less prideful and demand a refund. No biggie for the company -- cheap device, cheap shipping, no shortage of suckers who will actually keep the thing.

I really hope to persuade the admins to decline this sponsor. Their claims are patently fraudulent. There's no way even to give them the benefit of the doubt. What they claim is physically and electronically impossible, and they obviously don't have sufficient familiarity with the Datsun 280Z to realize it is an antique vehicle not under factory warranty, or to understand that our (analog) ECUs have no programming.
    Last edited by FastWoman; 04-27-2012 at 05:56 AM.
    My last three sports cars while I still owned all three:

2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0i soft/hard top (sold)
    1966 Ford Mustang Coupe (sold)
    1978 Datsun 280Z (enjoying very much )

Member ID
    CZCC-22534

The ad shown on the top of the page is influenced by search terms you may have goggled.
    Every body sees a different ad i goggled western union yesterday and as write this i see a
    western union ad at the top.

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

Interesting. However, I've never been interested in such a chip and have never googled either this chip or any other. In fact it's been a very long time since I've googled ANY performance item for my car (or any other car).

Member ID
    CZCC-22534

What is at top right now i see western union still.

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

It's all text:

$69 NISSAN 280Z Chip 60 Horsepower 7 MPG Savings Boost Easy Installation Custom ECU Chip www.GFChips.com

Cars Get a great new Toyota at prices that will blow you away! www.BuyAToyotaCamry.com

Replacement Fuel Injector Get back on the road fast! Buy new Stock OEM Fuel Injectors Here Now.

Here's the really creepy part. I just sent someone a personal message in which I said I have new aftermarket injectors (OEM specs). Note the third ad.

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

Funny, you supposedly get the same performance enhancement, no matter the make/model. For instance, you can supposedly get up to 60 hp more out of a Geo Metro! That would probably triple the horsepower, and double the top end, given the right tailwind.

Member ID
    CZCC-7395

It's true !!
    I've series wired 3 of these , installed them on my Kymco Super 9 50cc scooter , and voila ! 185 horsepower scooter .
    All legal and scary fast . Nyuk nyuk of course .

Member ID
    CZCC-21253
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FastWoman View Post
    Interesting. However, I've never been interested in such a chip and have never googled either this chip or any other. In fact it's been a very long time since I've googled ANY performance item for my car (or any other car).
    The interwebs are using mind control.
    Gary
    Guardian of HLS30-91415
    Previous Owner of a 10/70 240Z ('83-'85)

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Get Google Chrome Browser and AdBlock extensions.

I see nothing but Z's.
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

Member ID
    CZCC-8342

Sarah is right in that these scurrilous ads do not belong on our beloved website. Mike? Arne? What gives?
    Cheers, Mike
    '73 240Z, 80,000 original miles, F54, N42 massaged and shaved (10.5-1 comp.), stage 2 cam, ZX ignition, Header, 2 1/2" exhaust w/ magnaflow muffler, 5 spd (Maxima), 4:11 R180 (200SX), 15" Rota RBs 205-60/15 Bridgestone Grid 109s, KYB struts, stock springs, rubber bushings, MSA sway bars and strut bars, HotRod Air hvac system, '90 300ZX seats, upgraded sound system, BRE-type spook and spoiler

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Sounds like they're trying to keep the forum running. Unless you all want to be charged an annual fee in exchange for the use of this forum, ignore the ads and don't worry about it. I've never even noticed them until now, and I bet they mostly or completely go away if you donate to the site. If someone is stupid enough to buy it, then so be it. That's Capitalism in action.
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-23586

I have seen these things marketed under different brands including ebay making the same claims. The gist of it is they add a simple electronic part (usually its a resistor) to your air intake sensor (usually mass air) and it modifies the information from that sensor by a static amount, causing your computer to change the air fuel ratio. FastWoman, as an electrical engineer and automotive computer master you know that most electronic sensors output resistance readings and adding an inline resistor (or IC that has resistance) would create a static increase in whatever that sensor puts out. Then they package this magic part into a fancy package and sell it with ridiculous claims. In theory it should make a change to how the car runs and i would bet that under very specific conditions it actually does increase power, but the reality is its probably causing a reduction in power under most conditions and breaking things in general. Absolute junk product in case that wasnt clear enough By the way the ads are provided automagically and i suspect they are using the google adsense system so if you sign out of google your ads will probably change.
    Early 1974 260z
    https://sites.google.com/a/thecomputerrehab.com/260z/

Member ID
    CZCC-7312

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Get Google Chrome Browser and AdBlock extensions.

I see nothing but Z's.
    Bada Bing, that's the ticket. Flushed the Ads right out!
    Andrew (ZCurves)
    1978 Coupe - HLS30-440105
    Spring, Texas USA

pro deo et patria
    My Albumz

Member ID
    CZCC-3035

AdBlock run on Firefox also...
    '71 240Z, Because any fool can drive fast in a straight line.

Member ID
    CZCC-24084

Quote Originally Posted by LeonV View Post
    Sounds like they're trying to keep the forum running. Unless you all want to be charged an annual fee in exchange for the use of this forum, ignore the ads and don't worry about it. I've never even noticed them until now, and I bet they mostly or completely go away if you donate to the site. If someone is stupid enough to buy it, then so be it. That's Capitalism in action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurbycar32 View Post
    By the way the ads are provided automagically and i suspect they are using the google adsense system so if you sign out of google your ads will probably change.
    This. I run a blog with Google Adsense and chances are the forum admins have absolutely no control over what's being displayed beyond basic settings like text only, text/image, or image only.

If we had a random forum visitor that Google had detected had visited a lot of say, gardening-related sites, there would be gardening-related ads shown in that space. 'Tis how it works.
    Matt | Spannerhead.com | Original Z Owner #129 (2nd Gen) - '72 240Z (HLS30-93069) '95 525i/5 '05 MPV

Formerly known as Koalia Reverend's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-20168

I used premium gasoline instead of regular and it added at least 20hps more!!
    -72 240Z "Goldie"

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I tried to contact those GForce people to double-check the compatibility with my L28E engine system, and any information they could share as to how it works with my engine, and the message system crashed, or I got a message to that effect. I don't know if they will get my request.

It seems they are just another group of people who get digital Fuel injection confused with analog fuel injection.

At least they didn't list the 240Z or 260Z on their compatibility list!
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 05-02-2012 at 06:18 AM.
    Drive Responsibly.
    enjoy classic Rock music.

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

I wouldn't even give them that much credit. They have a chip listed on their site for my 83 El Camino......it's carbureated
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-16108

Thanks Blue! I now only see Z's

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I finally did get a reply from my inquiry:

We only have the older vehicles listed, for it a customer installs a newer fuel injected engine into their older vehicle.
    Older vehicles are listed only as suggestions, and that you install a MODERN fuel injected engine in order to use the chip.
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 05-02-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    Drive Responsibly.
    enjoy classic Rock music.

Member ID
    CZCC-24413

Wow, great words...couldn't be explained better

Member ID
    CZCC-17702

Cool, it will work for me! I have a later model fuel injected engine in my 240. Still don't understand how it will help the Z therapy carbs on it.

72 240Z HLS30 49052 110 Persimmons/white stick
    72 240Z HLS30 70087 110 Persimmons/white auto 43K
    77 280Z HLS30 400336
    77 280Z Turbo HLS30 369869
    57 Volvo 444K
    57 IHS120
    85 500 SEC

Member ID
    CZCC-4
    Blog Entries

Hi guys, yes I added some advertising to help raise some capital so we can make improvements to the site. There are a number of things we want to do and adding the Google Adsense package to the site was a great way for us to raise the necessary money. I tried putting ads in the least annoying places on the site. I won't let this place turn into an ad nightmare, but, it was a necessary adjustment. As an FYI, our monthly overhead costs (electricity bill, server hardware maintenance, Internet fees, etc) are in the $350-$400 range. Half of that was covered by direct sponsors, and the other half was paid by yours truly.

As far as the ads themselves, you will see less of them after you log in. Non-members see more of them. If you can help out the site by clicking on a few banners here and there, it will definitely help out. I believe we get about $.20-$.80 per click (depending on the vendor). This way, even lurkers can help our cause.

Nonetheless, the thing I noticed about Google Adsense is the content is based on some kind of Google intelligence based on your browsing history. I have tried forcing them to show race cars, classic cars, nissan, datsun, zcar and other related topics. But, there are certain types of other ads that can sneak through.

As far as the microchip thread, hopefully this hasn't hijacked any kind of discussion.... Please start a different topic or send me a PM if you are concerned about the ads. I'll see what I can do to TRY and keep everyone happy.
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-17702

Hey Mike,

First, thanks for the work on the site and for out of pocket moneys spent. I do think there must be a way to organize a monthly, or semi annual fundraiser for the site. Personally, I get a kick out of some of the wild claims from some of the advertisers, but I suppose there are members who simply aren't aware that the gimmicks are gimmicks. This one isn't the most outrageous I don't think.

72 240Z HLS30 49052 110 Persimmons/white stick
    72 240Z HLS30 70087 110 Persimmons/white auto 43K
    77 280Z HLS30 400336
    77 280Z Turbo HLS30 369869
    57 Volvo 444K
    57 IHS120
    85 500 SEC

Member ID
    CZCC-24084

I echo the thanks for a great site, Mike. I'm an "immigrant" of sorts from another Z forum, and this is a good place to be.

Back when I owned a Volvo 940, I was on the Turbobricks forum. They finance the site by bundling additional forum perks (custom user title, pictures in sigs, etc) with a paid membership. Just an idea.
    Matt | Spannerhead.com | Original Z Owner #129 (2nd Gen) - '72 240Z (HLS30-93069) '95 525i/5 '05 MPV

Member ID
    CZCC-4964

Opera browser. Right click on the webpage, select "block content", and click the ads you want blocked. Done.
    Dave C, Putnam, NY
    NYZCC - Membership Director

Thread Information