I would appreciate your opinions please

This is a discussion on I would appreciate your opinions please within the Open S30 Z Discussions forums, part of the 1st Generation Z (S30) category; Hi Everyone, Well after a fairly long and grueling experience my series one car will finally be done within the ...

Banned User
    Member ID
    CZCC-13684

Default I would appreciate your opinions please

Hi Everyone,

Well after a fairly long and grueling experience my series one car will finally be done within the next few days and I wanted to get your opinion on something. After looking at probably hundreds of Early 240z,& 260z and 280 Z cars I am toying with the idea of using the correct vinyl body side moldings on the car. I do know that this was either an aftremarket or accessory part back in the early 70s. Probably more an aftermarket item that dealers installed on many 240z cars especially. I think that those side moldings adds something to the look of the car but I just can't figure out why I seem to like the car better with them installed.

What's your take on this if you have one and does anyone know if those moldings were black or were they the same color as the car or close to it.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

McKrack

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

McKrack,
    Any molding was after market. Most dealers around here installed the rivet on aluminum channel that accepted an insert. the inserts wereavailable in a healthy number of colors that closely matched most body colors, but also had black when there was not a close match for body color. My 280Z 2+2 came in DN 305(sky blue metalic) and the appropriate mounlding and inserts. The first time I went through the car, I repaired the moulding holes and left the moulding off. Within a month something was amis, I put the mouldings back on, and the car was right again.
    That was a 2+2, and the mouldings helped it, I don't plan to put them on my 240Z because the body line they apply to is one of the styling elements that I really like to see "right"(and I don't want holes in my bodywork), but I may make a set magnetic and play with the idea some...
    Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Mine never had any mouldings on it when I got the car. I don't plan on putting any on either. That will make for one less thing to worry about. As far as appearance, I think they look good either way, with or without. What ever you decide, will be accepted by almost everyone I think because we have always seen them both ways.

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Her Majesty phoned me this morning with the very same question! What a coincidence! So I contacted the wardrobe department right away and spoke to Alsace Gesechtnik, in charge of accessories. He is actually a really talented man! I think he lives on the other side of the river, though. If you know what I mean. Anyhow, Alsace suggested white side molding with the metal caps on each end - in gold. With matching gold screws. He said the glue-on type was just out these days and that screwing with your car showed so much commitment. He also suggested you match the molding with gold hubcaps. You know, the kind that keep spinning at the stop light? Seventeen inch would be nice, but nineteen is much better. Then he made some snide remark about size. Sounded like a Corvette slur to me.

So there you have it. Straight from the guy who consulted with Her Majesty and Princess. We talked about it a few years back and decided to dress in a traditional Japanese retro style. I went out on eBay and bought all the parts before everyone realized how chic the style was. If word gets out about side moldings, who knows where the price will go!
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Micronian fighter ace veritech-z's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-12930

Could somebody post a picture of the side mouldings in question? I'm not really clear on what we're talking about.

26th-z, maybe instead of spinning hub caps you could get those kind like the taxis were using that stay straight up and down all the time, that way you could put a graphic of a queen from each suit in a deck of playing cards on it. Just a thought.
    -Max

"I put on my robe and wizard hat.."
    "Look out, it's the camo zzzap!"

Member ID
    CZCC-7185

Default correct trim and after market add ons

i once knew of a very nice, very low milage early car with some owner added trim, upgrades and improvements. if your car is a true example worthy of being critiqued by the most knowledgeable of experts you could do what this other guy did. but remember, his car was the world's lowest milage 240 at less than 16,000.
    take a rattle can of rubberized under coating and spray to your hearts content.
    remove the points and install a petronix unilight disturber, i mean distributor.
    have some jackass mechanic in ny install 280 mustache bar bushing and then ship it down and back to tampa a few times in search of the correct diagnosis.
    get some sheet metal screws and drill mount a radiator over flow tank into the side of your engine compartment.
    drill mount a gold king's crown air freshner tp the dash for the best in aromatherapy.

these mods and others will be sure to elevate your car to "pristine early zcar" and one day you might be a trailer queen; i mean your car might be a queen.

i will add a picture of this other guy for you to meet at the daytona convention to discuss how to be a responsible person, i mean responsible early zcar enthusiast. the picture is of him in a bad light but then that is how i remembered his conversation with mr. k who was taken back by his brash statements, as indicated by the guy standing next to him.

cdavid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I would appreciate your opinions please-dsc00172.jpg  
    Last edited by c david; 02-02-2007 at 08:06 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-8920

I think this is the side-molding in question (from my '72Z):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I would appreciate your opinions please-jaffe72yellow005.jpeg  
    Doug

'73 240Z (HLS30-126840)(10/72) Yellow (64XXX original miles)
    '66 MGB (GHN3L108501)(12/14/66) BRG
    '10 BMW E93 Silver

Member ID
    CZCC-13117

Quote Originally Posted by DougN View Post
    It's a matter of personal taste, I guess, but personally I think those body side bumpers completely interfere with the 'lines' of a Z. The first thing I did after I bought my '71 was to carefully remove them.

Yes, I know that they serve a purpose. They are just ugly as sin, in my opinion.

1971 Datsun 240Z
    HLS30-30806
    Asheville, North Carolina
    IZCC #14802

Member ID
    CZCC-12930

Oh yeah, my car wasn't even RUNNING yet, but I had those things off first order of business. Second was getting rid of the automatic tranny. Then came getting it started.
    -Max

Member ID
    CZCC-13611

Yeah, I'm not a fan of them. I've actually never seen them before now.

Member ID
    CZCC-13535

Had them on my first Z, was happy I didnt replace them when I got it painted. I just cant help but think they take away from the sportscar feeling and do nothing but add to the "safety in the shopping lot" feeling. For some reason they seem to look a little better on a white or silver Z's compared to the darker colors tho.

Member ID
    CZCC-8997

I would say I love them. they are one of the reasons which I switched into S30's

BUT

depending on the style of the car and the color combination, if you want the racing sporty lok I would say, don't put them on, they look much classic and they give the "long body trim" view..

just an opinion..

good luck.
    Mohamed.

Women, you would prefer to be Z's if you knew how do we treat them

Member ID
    CZCC-8997

Wobbles1971,

what a coencidence! there is a nother guy on the other half on the earth saying my words or what you beat me by 1 minute
    Mohamed.

Women, you would prefer to be Z's if you knew how do we treat them

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

Aint that a blip!?!
    The whole time I thought we was taliking about fender flares

Yeah, deffinately get ride of those ~Basket~ bumbers.

The Z jus looks cleaner , unless it's a '70

~Z~

Member ID
    CZCC-5387

I have to say I prefer mine "with" ... as long as they are colour matched....

GWGarrard

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

Wobbles and Bu both made good points ^_^

They almost look like Racing Stripes

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

My red 240Z and I vote no.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Quote Originally Posted by veritech-z View Post
    Could somebody post a picture of the side mouldings in question? I'm not really clear on what we're talking about.

26th-z, maybe instead of spinning hub caps you could get those kind like the taxis were using that stay straight up and down all the time, that way you could put a graphic of a queen from each suit in a deck of playing cards on it. Just a thought.

Hows about JOKERS not Queens!!

Member ID
    CZCC-7932

As far as I know, they made two types. The earlier one was an aluminum channel that was riveted on the car. The newer one was a plastic channel that was taped to the car. Both types could be had with numerous colored inserts. The older type was more durable, but there was the problem of rust, holes in the body and dissimilar metal electro-something or other (aluminum rivets rubbing on steel body panels). The newer one didn't have the rust problem, but was prone to cracking, being that it was plastic. I haven't seen them in a long time and I'm not sure that you can find them anymore.
    Miles

1971 Skyline "Hakosuka"
    2002 Lexus GS 300

ZCOOR #109
    Member ID
    CZCC-1844

Well there is one certainty, they never stopped a parking lot rub,dent,ding.

All the damage to the Z's doors are BELOW the ridge of the body work. to be effective the trim would have to run 12 inches below that line.

A "door ding stopper" was put on many a 70's and 80's car by factory and aftermarket. Now that cars are a bit smaller, and I think SUV's allow for easier entry, there seems to be way less door dings. I just havn't gotten that many with my 2002 SVT Focus. Just one significant mash.

Maybe it is the reduction in two door monsters like Thunderbirds, where the barn doors would take out NASCAR bars if they were in place.

Lord knows it is not the lessor number of fat asses climbing out of their cars wanging away on the neighboring cars paint.

Oh, have I gone on toooo much?
    Lowell
    original owner 72-240Z
    Original Blue w/White, 79,000Miles

Member ID
    CZCC-12930

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell Marx View Post
    Lord knows it is not the lessor number of fat asses climbing out of their cars wanging away on the neighboring cars paint.
    Funny story along those lines: I used to work in a local theme park in the traffic department. You know the guys that point your car where to park as you enter in the morning? Well, the first thing people would do is kick their door all the way open and try to jump out, which would hold up the line of cars. What would kill me is that the person that JUST had to wait while the jerk in front of them did that would proceed to do the SAME THING once they parked instead of waiting for the next car to pull in before opening the door. Anyway, one time I saw a guy kick open his door, go to jump out, and guess what? He forgot to take off his seat belt and got yanked right back into the car. Priceless.
    -Max

Member ID
    CZCC-8920

Quote Originally Posted by zman112233 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of them. I've actually never seen them before now.

Yeah, I am not crazy about them, but the car still has great paint on it, and taking them off would leave the rivet holes - so until the car needs a repaint, I am stuck with them. But, since the '72 is my "daily driver" of the two Z's, I guess they do serve a purpose in keeping the car from getting door dings.
    Last edited by DougN; 02-02-2007 at 11:24 AM.
    Doug

'10 BMW E93 Silver

Member ID
    CZCC-13312

I vote NO.....Here's mine with, however I'm at the paint and body shop and they WILL NOT be put back on.....just my .02
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I would appreciate your opinions please-3.0.jpg  

1970 240Z HLS30 00797 White / Blue

Banned User
    Member ID
    CZCC-13684

Thanks everybody for your opinion. I thought you could possibly stick them on but if holes have to be drilled I'm not doing that. However I do kind of like them.

There were some responses like from that 26th something about her majesty or something that I didn't quite get. Maybe just joking or somehting and the other guy David. What in the world were you talking about. I do think I recognized Mr. K in that picture. Was that him? As for the other folks who are they?

Anyway thank you very much for your opinions.

McKrack

Car Guy
    Member ID
    CZCC-12941

When we first got my 280z, it had them on there and I thought they looked alright. We had to take them off of coarse to do all the body work and now I'm glad that we did because having them off I think really makes the car have a cleaner sportier look to it and gives it the right lines. But it's always your opinion on what you like.

Member ID
    CZCC-2363

Quote Originally Posted by Mckrack View Post
    Thanks everybody for your opinion. I thought you could possibly stick them on but if holes have to be drilled I'm not doing that. However I do kind of like them.

snip....

Anyway thank you very much for your opinions.

McKrack
    The generic version was a stickon.

Miles is quite correct in saying that there where 2 versions as I fitted the stick on to my first zed in the late 70's.

Whether you like them or not is a preference thing (like stripes)!

MOM
    Mike of the Mire

73 240Z Rally
    77 260Z Touring

Bogged but not beaten

Banned User
    Member ID
    CZCC-13684

Yeah I could get some stick ons but I'm afraid if I wanted to take them off it might pull the fresh paint right off the car.

McKrack

Member ID
    CZCC-12930

26th-z refers to his car as "her majesty", I think because it has such a low vin? The guy in David's picture is the low mileage, no taste guy that he was describing who was being rude to Mr. K and making asinine modifications to what would otherwise have been a nice car(or at least that's what I gathered from the post). Both posts had a touch of the "sarcasm" you hear about every so often these days.
    -Max

Car Guy
    Member ID
    CZCC-12941

Mckrack, would it be possible at all to see any pictures of your car? Sounds like a beauty and we'd more than love to see it!

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Quote Originally Posted by sakijo View Post
    As far as I know, they made two types. The earlier one was an aluminum channel that was riveted on the car. The newer one was a plastic channel that was taped to the car. Both types could be had with numerous colored inserts. ..snip...
    ...snip...taking them off would leave the rivet holes ...snip..., I guess they do serve a purpose in keeping the car from getting door dings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell Marx View Post
    Well there is one certainty, they never stopped a parking lot rub,dent,ding.

All the damage to the Z's doors are BELOW the ridge of the body work. to be effective the trim would have to run 12 inches below that line.
    ...snip...
    When I was researching parts for my car that were "correct", I ran into various vehicles with the rivet and the stick-on vinyl rubber side protectors in the boneyard. The rivet on system is very hard on the vehicle and it does cause a lot of rust. It is also hard to find replacements with both the aluminum channel and the vinyl insert in colors. The Stick-On is still available.

I would presume they are both period and dealer item correct since some of these cars had been there for many years, and the items were obviously ON the car when they arrived at the boneyard. However, with exposure to the sun, some of them undoubtedly faded and shrank before I saw them, and now I'm relying on memory, so you may have to adjust your monitor's resolution and color balance to see what I recall.

Here are some of the styles I found but with their current (as of today) sources so you can be sure that you're getting the right item.

Extra Wide Moulding- This was seen both with a chrome edge along both sides of the center vinyl and the extra wide black rubber reminiscent of later Subaru trim moldings:
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000153620

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...el+well+chrome

If you're really worried about getting dinged on a new paint job, here's a more modern item which will allow you to either place one big wide strip or a multitude of individual ones at the critical points:
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...001802/c-10101

You can't go wrong putting these on your car as I and others can vouch for their having been used back "in the day".

Quote Originally Posted by 26th-Z View Post
    ...snip... Anyhow, Alsace suggested white side molding with the metal caps on each end - in gold. With matching gold screws. ...snip...He also suggested you match the molding with gold hubcaps....snip...
    This cracked me up, as I recall when the Mexican in me got ahold of the mouse and used BIN to buy a set of these for the Z:
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...el+well+chrome

I had thought they were something else, there wasn't a picture attached to the auction, and when they arrived, I could just hear all the wise ass cracks people would make about them. But that Alsace crack got me thinking....what if we were to anodize them "Gold" to match the end metal and the hubcaps?

Any similarity to past, current, or future Mexicans, actual or practising, is not intended to be a crack on their car or character or lack thereof.
    In spanish: ¡Ay Güey! ¡No seas pendejo!

Quote Originally Posted by veritech-z View Post
    ...snip...The guy in David's picture is the low mileage, no taste guy that he was describing who was being rude to Mr. K and making asinine modifications to what would otherwise have been a nice car...snip....
    Now what kind of nasty crack is that all about?
    Maybe he was commenting to Mr. K about the correctness of his vehicle's modifications? If not in originality but in retrospective necessity! After all, surely even Mr. K will agree that from the factory the Z needed some of the modifications he performed. The other guy was obviously so impressed with the comments he couldn't even crack a smile!

Sorry....guess I just got tired of the "sarcastic" cracks....
    ¡Ay Güey!
    E
    Last edited by EScanlon; 02-02-2007 at 07:39 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-12930

I wish MY z had come equipped with a crown shaped air freshener...the funk of 30 year old mildew-y cream vinyl is hard to shake...Next time I sit down with Mr K. over some tea I'll be sure and ask him if he can pull some strings for me on my next car. Retrospective necessity...I like that one!
    -Max

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

I vote no to the side bumpers . I removed mine and filled the holes while I was preping for paint. I like the less is more look. I don't run the rubber on the bumpers or the vertical guards either. I wish I had filled the holes for the marker lights . That look makes the car sleeker and cleaner lines . In my view. Gary
    I'd rather die while I am living than live while I am dieing. CZC 1887 IZCC 12602 Member of NorthWest Z Car Club

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Wassa matter, "Krack"? Can't read my user name? CDavid jumped on you pretty hard, didn't he? So, what kind of paint job did you buy that would come off from the glue-on type? The only word for you to remember when it comes to paint and body work, Mcrack, is PREPERATIONH!!! Ohhh, you crack me up!

Don't put side moldings on your car. Your'e stock, remember? Make up your mind, and go one way or the other. Where are you going to drive the car that it would get dings? Your'e better off with a bra.

So put up some pictures of your blue-on-blue-baby. I know a photographer if you need some help. How did the carpeting turn out? Your'e done, right?

Congrats on a 3-page thread. This has been pretty entertaining. Enrique, you crack me up! And the Her Majesty thing refers to the garage queen.
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Banned User
    Member ID
    CZCC-13684

Thanks again for all the opinions. I have some time to decide but I'm probaly going to leave them off. I do think though that the body side moldings somehow sharpen the lines of the car. As for 26 I didn't think I would get so many responses. As for the other stuff you posted you almost sound like your angry at someone or something. Kind of sounds like you are being a little sarcastic. But thanks for the advice and no I don't think I'm going to be putting a bra on my car.

Thanks again guys.

McKrack

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Quote Originally Posted by Mckrack
    .......Kind of sounds like you are being a little sarcastic......
    Ya think???
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

A little sarcastic! How dare you insult me!
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Banned User
    Member ID
    CZCC-13684

It was requested of you to stop. Let's stay on topic please. Thanks again for the help.

McKrack

Member ID
    CZCC-7185

dear Baruch Rosenberger, i mean mckrack.
    i have been contacted repeatedly by email from a zcar enthusiast (i mean owner) who once represented himself as mike hunt. i think you know this guy because he seems to know you very well.
    cdavid

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

The Open Zcar discussion threads are for Z content!
    This one is for discussing opinions/information on side mouldings, if you would like to post on an unrelated item, please do-but in a more apropriate Forum and thread-on second thought, I'll start one just for ficticious identities where it belongs-in the Chit chat forum.
    Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Banned User
    Member ID
    CZCC-13684

Thanks Will I appreciate the advice. As for a Mike Hunt or whoever I have absolutely no idea who that guy is but if he wants to chime in on the body side molding issue I would be intetersted in his thoughts on the matter.

Other then that I don't get the post.

McKrack

Member ID
    CZCC-6600

Doug N, I recognize that Jaffe Yellow 240Z picture from a old thread here on Classic Zcar.....I didn't realize that you were the one who bought the car from Carl Beck!
    Steve

Member ID
    CZCC-8920

Steve, Carl brokered the deal, I actually bought it from the guy has the arguably the best Z-car collection (I think he is at 17 Z's now) in the US (and only lives across town from me). This guy bought my car and two factory resto cars from the Nissan collection, and Carl was kind enough to put me in touch with him and we made a deal.
    Doug

'10 BMW E93 Silver

Member ID
    CZCC-9360

I feel bad for McKrack if he isn't in fact "the owner of the lowest mileage Z on the planet" guy.

In an effort to stay on topic, even though it's not clear what that is at this point, here's a pic of my car with what are believed to be dealer added, simulated wood grain, stick-on side moulding. For the record, I don't normally like these things, but in this case I feel like they actually add to the overall look of the car, had they been mounted with a little more accuracy.......perhaps it's just 30+ yrs of sag.

As mentioned previously in this thread by someone else, they seem to highlight the lines of the body fairly well. That being said, the driver's side strips are starting to come loose due to being baked by the sun under my car cover, and will probably be replaced with some pin striping to match the other subtle pin striping on the rim of the hood and tail.

=Enigma=
    CZCC#9360
    4/73 - HLS30-156236

My name is Adam and I'm a Zeeoholic!

Member ID
    CZCC-7932

I remember those. They were sold at auto parts stores in long rolls, usually in black with "chrome" edging. Cut, peel, and stick. If you didn't know how to do it right, it would be wavy. We would tape a straight edge (usually an old fashioned yardstick) to the car and use that as a guide to keep the moulding straight. If done correctly, it did add to the visual lines of the car while protecting against door dings.
    Miles

1971 Skyline "Hakosuka"
    2002 Lexus GS 300

Thread Information