Back to the paint shop (sigh).........grrrr

This is a discussion on Back to the paint shop (sigh).........grrrr within the Body and Paint (S30) forums, part of the 1st Generation Z (S30) category; Yes, it's back to the paint shop. After leaving the paint shop for the auto shop, the car was place ...

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Angry Back to the paint shop (sigh).........grrrr

Yes, it's back to the paint shop. After leaving the paint shop for the auto shop, the car was place on a lift and examined. Guess what was discovered? All the surfaces that face the ground was not painted properly, some merely coved in overspray. Anyone car to guess why? That's right, the painter was too lazy to bend over to get the bottom surfaces. You would have to lay on the ground to look up under the car to see this screw up. Am I frustrated after waiting 3 years for this car to come out of the paint shop? You damn straight I am.

This is absolutely outrageous!

I'm beginning to think I'll never get this car back.
    Bryan Pilati
    1971 Datsun 240Z (8/71; 920 paint)
    IZCC #583; TZCC #16; CZC #110
    I'm never serious unless I should be.

Member ID
    CZCC-22854

Thats a bigger problem than you think if its a 2 stage paint job (clear over basecoat). Be VERY careful when you pick the car up, check for blend lines and look at it carefuly (I call it EYE F@#FING) to make sure he reclears the entire car, jambs and all (with the glass out) all the way to the weatherstripping ribs. What a bummer.

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Ugh, I don't think we're going to repaint the entire car for this.
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-26864

Ya know, if the rest of the car is georgeous, the bottoms can be fixed. Request they fix it, but politely. Don't become the Z-owner they never want to see again because sure as chit, 2 weeks from now someone will ding your door and you'll have to go back to have THEM fix it. Don't burn bridges with your attitude. Just accept they got 80% and are now going to make it right.

When you're ready to pay $10,000 for a paint job, THEN you can throw a hissy fit when it's not perfect.

My guess: Your paint guy is over six feet tall.

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Hey, if there's no paint along the bottoms surfaces, I think I have a right to expect paint on it. Sorry, but where the hell are you guys coming from? They didn't even seam seal the weld joints under the fenders. I let them have the car for 3 freaking years, and I get this. Do I really sound that impatient given all this?? I serious doubt that it didn't get painted because I didn't pay them $10K to fill their spray gun with paint. After $3K of sheetmetal work and $6500 worth of painting, I want paint where it should be painted.
    Last edited by bpilati; 08-14-2012 at 07:49 PM.
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-17660

pictures?
    1977 280z
    1974 260z long gone

Member ID
    CZCC-20649

I can well understand bpilati being more than slightly annoyed over this. Three years should be time enough to get it right.

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Quote Originally Posted by grantf View Post
    pictures?
    Not yet, only had on the lift once. Hopefully I'll have another chance.
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

While I would be polite in bringing this serious flaw in a paint job to the painters attention-is this guy a professional or is this his first car...I would be livid to find that after three years of waiting, form a shop that is at least 3 years old... The painter should be embarrassed that he allowed that out of his shop as a completed job, and all over himself to make it right-and keep it quiet. That is a shade tree-rookie mistake, not something any person who considers himself a professional would ever want associated with his shop and proved by a receipt or cancelled check.
    Last edited by hls30.com; 08-15-2012 at 06:51 AM.
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-19125

Quote Originally Posted by bpilati View Post
    Hey, if there's no paint along the bottoms surfaces, I think I have a right to expect paint on it. Sorry, but where the hell are you guys coming from? They didn't even seam seal the weld joints under the fenders. I let them have the car for 3 freaking years, and I get this. Do I really sound that impatient given all this?? I serious doubt that it didn't get painted because I didn't pay them $10K to fill their spray gun with paint. After $3K of sheetmetal work and $6500 worth of painting, I want paint where it should be painted.
    Boy, that must be so frustrating. This is the very reason I do just about everything myself now. I am sure that I care a lot more about my car than the person working on it. As a result, I pay a lot more attention to detail.

This is the very reason I got into doing my own zinc plating. I wasn’t very happy with the shop that did my plating work, it was to dark and not shiney like my NOS parts, so I started doing it myself. I now think I can do better work than the plating shop, and I get exactly what I want.

I wasn’t thrilled with my second Maaco paint job. It was OK, but like your car, they missed areas on the underside. As a result, I will be doing my own painting on my roadster restoration. (I actually painted a roadster about 30 years ago and it came out great.) By doing it myself, I get exactly what I put into it, and exactly what I want, or I do it over.

I am a firm believer in the saying,” If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself”.

Best regards,
    Rich

HLS30-02614 in the Cocoon
    HLS30-40147 Very Yellow Daily Driver
    HLS30-40498 Next resto
    SPL311-27444 It lives
    http://www.rcdeng.com

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Bryan;
    Did you ever get a WRITTEN agreement with the shop doing the work, specifying what they would/would not do?

While a verbal agreement is more difficult to enforce, some terms are defineable such that a "paint job" is understood to mean ALL of the exterior of a vehicle and not just what's visible from a bird's eye view.

Aside from that, it sounds as though the paint guy was rushing your job and got careless. Regardless of the expense (and it's on him) he needs to make the job right... even if it means sanding to Primer/Sealer and re-shooting color and clear.

Otherwise, take it to a different shop, pay to have it done properly and then sue the first shop for the cost of rectifying their mistake.

Sorry to hear of the problems.
    E
    71 240 920 Gold
    72 240 Orange
    73 240 Red
    67 1600 Sports Roadster Spicy Orange Mica
    68 2000 Sports Roadster Red

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Quote Originally Posted by hls30.com View Post
    While I would be polite in bringing this serious flaw in a paint job to the painters attention-is this guy a professional or is this his first car...I would be livid to find that after three years of waiting, form a shop that is at least 3 years old... The painter should be embarrassed that he allowed that out of his shop as a completed job, and all over himself to make it right-and keep it quiet. That is a shade tree-rookie mistake, not something any person who considers himself a professional would ever want associated with his shop and proved by a receipt or cancelled check.
    This is a real paint shop booths and all. They've been around for many years, wonder how much paint is missing from the cars of other customers. Granted it's primarily a collision shop, but they stripped this car down to metal, redid body work, primed, sanded, primed, blah blah blah....then base/clear. There are some other mistake too, but this is the biggy. I had all glass out and hardware off.
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Quote Originally Posted by EScanlon View Post
    Bryan;
    Did you ever get a WRITTEN agreement with the shop doing the work, specifying what they would/would not do?

While a verbal agreement is more difficult to enforce, some terms are defineable such that a "paint job" is understood to mean ALL of the exterior of a vehicle and not just what's visible from a bird's eye view.

Aside from that, it sounds as though the paint guy was rushing your job and got careless. Regardless of the expense (and it's on him) he needs to make the job right... even if it means sanding to Primer/Sealer and re-shooting color and clear.

Otherwise, take it to a different shop, pay to have it done properly and then sue the first shop for the cost of rectifying their mistake.

Sorry to hear of the problems.
    E
    That is under consideration if they give me any ****.
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-21301

I feel your pain but from personal experience its tough to paint the bottom bits, I had to jack mine way up in front to get under the spoiler and under the from rocker panel covers, then repeat the process on the rear. Then again I did mine in my garage with no lift. Turned out OK, not a 6K paint job but its a good 3' job (from 3' it looks perfect).
    75 280Z almost done
    49 Chevy 3100 p/u next project
    96 Dodge 2500 4X4 tows my 5th wheel

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Quote Originally Posted by mjr45 View Post
    I feel your pain but from personal experience its tough to paint the bottom bits, I had to jack mine way up in front to get under the spoiler and under the from rocker panel covers, then repeat the process on the rear. Then again I did mine in my garage with no lift. Turned out OK, not a 6K paint job but its a good 3' job (from 3' it looks perfect).
    That may be true, but I paid a paint shop to paint my car. They're paid to overcome these issues. The car will begin to rust if it isn't painted correctly, and they didn't seal the seams that they should have.
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-18366
    Blog Entries

The PO of my car had it painted and it looks like they didn't use primer below the doors and below the rear bumper. The paint is stuck on good everywhere but those two locations. I didn't know that sort of thing ever happened to anyone else.

Thread Information